Audiodharma Cable Cooker anyone share experiences?

I am interested in the Audiodharma Cable Cooker and would like to here comments from anyone that has actually used one.
Thanks,
ozzy.
128x128ozzy
I have used both. First of all even though the Nordost unit shuts off after 24 hours that is only intended to keep one from overcooking a cable. You just reset after every 24 hour duration. Nordost actually told me that cable like the Valhalla can take 5-7 days minimum. I like both of them but the nordost is harder to use as the speaker binding posts are very close together and a real pain with spades. In addition, long runs of interconnects or those that use boxes such as MIT, don't appear to work. The light completely shuts down anyway. So can't tell if it is working or not.
From what i've been told, you are not supposed to run cables with built-in networks on these devices. Why, i don't know. As to "overcooking" a cable, what happens if you leave it playing in your system "too long" ? None of these devices CRAM signal through the interconnects. They produce a signal that is above what they would normally see by a few times. I find it hard to believe that there is damage being done to the dielectric, which is probably rated for TONS more voltage than what they are supplying.

Keep in mind that this is not "hypothetical" as i've left cables on my "burner" for well over a months time ( maybe even two months ) and had no problems with them whatsoever.

I know that a lot of this is in the "early stages" in terms of development and what we know. Too bad we can't get someone in a lab to literally scientifically analyze the differences in "burned" and "virgin" conducting and dielectric materials. I'm sure it would be interesting. Sean
>
Sean:

"As far as the power cords go, are you saying that they are fed the same signal as what is fed to the speaker cables?"

Yes. There are two separate circuits (and two separate signals)....one for interconnects (lower level), and the other for speaker cabling and power cabling (higher level).

"Out of curiosity, have you ever had any feedback as to how the CC stacks up against the Nordost unit?"

Another dealer, other than Joe Cutrifelli at JC Audio, has compared both. He sold his Nordost. Another customer did the same. This is third party, but they told me that the Cooker was "qualitatively better", and faster. Joe would have to comment further as to his experience.

"I don't know much about that piece other than it supposedly works on a timed circuit and is designed for "complete treatment" within 24 hours, etc..."

The CBID (signal) was primarily designed for their cabling and their dealer network, but I've never heard Nordost make this claim. And I sat in on a presentation at CES a couple of years ago. I think the 24-hour cycle is a safety feature, as Joe says, but one must repeat the cycle to get the cables more fully conditioned.

"Personally, i don't see ANY cable being fully burned in that amount of time but i know for a fact that the results are audible if you stop at that point using a Mobie."

Excepting for cables that have seen a good amount of time in a system, 24 hours isn't enough for a brand new cable. But on cabling that's been in a system for a while, 24 hours (on the Cooker) seems to be "enough". Customers are using their Cooker's for a recommended "recharge" every 3 or 4 months, finding that this overnight-to-24 hour conditioning maintains a high performance level for their system. As you likely know, break-in is a long-term phenomenon, but not a permanent one.

"How long do you recommend burning various cables for on your CC?"

Cooking time is dependent upon the gauge of the conductors, the number of conductors, and the amount of dielectric material. Generally, for brand new cable, the guidelines are 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 days for interconnects....2 to 3 1/2 days for speaker cables....and 3 to 4 days for most power cables (some extremely heavy-gauge designs could take longer). Of course, periodic listening tests are important to determine the optimal conditioning time for different designs, after doing what I call incremental periods of Cooking. There are some exceptions to the above guidelines, such as for the very light-gauge solid-cores and foils. One customer owns Mapleshade Double Helix, and found that only 4 to 6 hours did the trick, after trying to fully condition the cable in his system for a month.

Without intending to be promotional, you can find out more particulars by reading the Cooker FAQ's on my site. I'd be happy to answer any other questions or comments you have.

alan
Thanks for the in-depth and point by point response.

I think that a lot of what we are hearing take place when burning cables has to do with the dielectric "settling" along with slight changes to the conductor. As such, i can see the Mapleshade's not taking very long to "settle" or "burn in". They have next to no dielectric or "insulating jacket" to deal with. I think that this is also most of the reason that the Goertz speaker cables basically have miminal break in time. I would think that air or natural fiber ( like cotton ) insulation on a solid core wire would also provide much faster break in times compared to most "plasticized" stranded cabling. Then again, these are only "edjumacated guesses" so i could be out in left field.

Outside of all of this, given my background in electronics, i would not have believed the difference that "cooking" a cable would make if i had not experienced it for myself. As i've said before, i truly believe that you've never heard what a cable is fully capable of until it has been "cooked" on a burner for an extended period of time. The results were instantly noticeable and beneficial on every cable that i've done this to. This is regardless of the price of the cable or how long it had already been running in a system for. If you have the opportunity to try something like this, i would HIGHLY recommend it. Sean
>