Speaker wire is it science or psychology

I have had the pleasure of working with several audio design engineers. Audio has been both a hobby and occupation for them. I know the engineer that taught Bob Carver how a transistor works. He keeps a file on silly HiFi fads. He like my other friends considers exotic speaker wire to be non-sense. What do you think? Does anyone have any nummeric or even theoretical information that defends the position that speaker wires sound different? I'm talking real science not just saying buzz words like dialectric, skin effect capacitance or inductance.
stevemj
702, to your question: no scientific pretentions here, it was strictly amateurish. Level matching was by ear. I don't remember the exact number of trials. We spent practically a day and we did lots of "runs". The hits were significantly higher than the misses and I remember going through a distinct learning curve. More I cannot say anymore with exactitude. Too long ago. Regards
Garfish: We're in agreement on the need for enjoyment. I like to get as much musical enjoyment from audio equipment as I can, too. Listening to music is almost as much fun as making music. But if I can get the same level of high performance and enjoyment for X dollars instead of 20X dollars, I know I'm going to hold on to 19X dollars, because there are other things in life I like to do, too. That's my sensibility; other people can have theirs, however much they differ. It's a free country. I enjoy driving my car, and if I have a choice between a Shell station selling gas for $1.60 a gallon and a posh, gilded station selling gas for $18 a gallon and serving free cappuccino, my choice is already made, and I don't care if I'm giving up the snob appeal of the more expensive gas.
702; I use Shell gas too, small world-- $1.47 per gal. It's a way to save money to upgrade my amps! Thanks. Craig