Starter Turntable

I am a total newbie to turntable. I never owned a record in my life and I was actually told not to get into it by a local retailer because of the cost. But I have read that analog is the best, so I want to see what the hype is all about.

So I am in the market of a starter turntable. I want one that is low cost since I don't know what I am getting into so I don't want to invest too much money. So cheaper the better for now. I would also like one that is simple, since I have no idea clue to what a good arm and cartridge should be like. Lastly a used one would probably work best since I can get a better value out of it.

Also since I don't own any records, what will be a good one to start with? I enjoy all type of music, but I like rock, jazz, and classical the most. No country please, I hate country music.

Lastly what should I lookout for when buying used records beside the obvious?

Thanks
JL
f155mph
Turntables are the best; but only if you've got big bucks & patience to set up correctly. If not, your local retailer is giving you good advice.
Jump in with both feet! You'll love it. Lots of beginner choices. New or Used. On Audiogon or on Ebay or local classifieds.

I like to recommend starting with a Rega P2 or similar, a basic cartridge (under $100) and a simple phono preamp to plug into your existing stereo (which most likely doesn't have a phono pre-amp). At new prices you could buy these three items for under $800.

If that's too much, look at used stuff and you could probably find all three for under $500.

I'd say a first step is to visit http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html and do a lot of searching in the archives. Looking for opinions of the best starter tables, the best low cost phono cartridges and the best low cost phono pre-amplifiers.

Lots of folks will answer this question with a confusing aray of other advise. Some will say to buy a 20 year old used Thorens, or build your own turntable and pre-amp and even that you can't get into vinyl without buying a record cleaning machine.

I say, keep it simple. Do your research. Make your choices and enjoy!

Paul Green
PS. Both new and used vinyl records are available on line and in stores. Thirft stores and yard sales are great places to find really cheap old records.
My experience is that you'll need to spend around $1000 minimum to get an LP playback setup (table, cartridge, phono preamp) that will compare favorably with a CD based playback. As for LPs you either buy used for cents each, but set aside lots of time to search through them, or you pay similar money per record as for CDs to get new LPs. i.e. you spend money or time ... no easy ways in.

If I didn't have a collection of LPs I would not bother to start one. Spend the money on a better CD player and/or more CDs.

If you really must buy a record player then a used Rega planar 2/3 with a Rega Elys is about as simple as it gets, and will sound pretty good. For better sound, but a more difficult setup dump the rega cartridge for a denon dl-160.