Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
I've had consistently good results using spdif for several years now and with various devices.

Not much with USB to-date but I do expect to investigate this more thoroughly very soon.

A network connection from computer server to sound making device/streamer is usually a good idea to help isolate sound making components from noisy computers.

Those are the main caveats I know of to get good results using good quality gear. Keeping noise and jitter to a minimum and using a good sounding DAC are keys in all cases regardless of the actual source device used.

Definitely NOT a bust if done right. Need not cost a fortune to do it well either.
Computer-driven audio is convenient, nothing more, nothing less. I really enjoy streaming Spotify but I'm not fooled into believing that it will ever replace a record played on a decent TT. And, yes, I also like physical CDs better than ripping.
I've bailed on it for now...the promise of DSD or DXD downloads might change my mind soon...
Not a bust for me. After starting out skeptical and not hearing the benefit, I've
recently been very pleased with excellent sound quality and great listening
sessions with CDs imported to iTunes and played back via Seagate External HD
>>USB 3>>MacBook Air running BitPerfect>>Kimber USB 2>>V-Link 192>>DH
Labs Coax>>Schiit Gungnir DAC>>Stager Silver Solid IC>>Amp). I attribute the
recent improvement mainly to the Gungnir DAC (+ coax & power cable) finally
burning in. CDPs are Upgrade Company mod'd. Denon 2910 and TEAC CD3000.
Don't know your frame of reference. They might not be "high end"
enough for credibility with you but computer audio is working for me.
No promise. Running two server systems, both with full, multichannel DSD/DXD capabilities and files. The convenience is a given but the sound quality amazes.