Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
07-15-14: Bcgator
Computer audio is a passing fad, just like sex and marijuana (not necessarily together, but not necessarily not together). You wait - in 5 years, nobody will want any of the three. You heard it here first.

Nice. One would suspect that thc consumption would blunt our OCD audio impulses. Less hand wringing (and blogging) and more listening perchance?
With one exception I have not heard a transport that bests my Off-Ramp. That one exception however is totally wild. A highly modified (packed with uber expensive high end stuff like Duelund Capacitors and heavily modified Adcom clocks) Wadia.

It was better - but not enough better to entice me away from the convenience of computer audio. Some people who heard that comparison still preferred the Off-Ramp.

Thanks
Bill
Computer audio is the best architecture, allowing the greatest control, media options, innovation, and integration--especially feeding USB DAC's. It's the future, here now, IMO.
07-14-14: Redfuneral
I'm beyond happy with my computer transport but I couldn't listen to it before I got JPLAY. Could you go more in depth about what your/your friends' computers give up to the transports? If it's that digital glare or grain I'd recommend trying the demo of the aforementioned program.

Analog density, ease, and diminished glare. Their computer setups (which included all the usual tricks and aftermarket mods within a Mac platform) was thinner and more "digital" sounding. JPLAY was not the software used. It was either Puremusic or Audinirvana.
Does having a asynchronous USB help with jitter and obviate the need for reclocking or SPDIF converters, as claimed here : http://usbdacs.com/Concept/Concept.html

Just wondering. I have the Wavelength Cosecant and love it so far.