Vinyl Old timers: HK's and Rabco's

Need some help here. I have seen several old HK ( Harman Kardon ) TT's that had Rabco linear trackers on them. I always assumed that this was the Rabco 8 arm. I recently saw a Rabco 8 for sale on a website and it was completely different. The arms that i remembered looked like a regular linear tracking arm with a straight tube and a headshell. The 8 as displayed on this website looked like a much wider and flatter piece of metal i.e. almost like a piece of flat-stock.

If this really is a Rabco 8, what model arm is it that i recall as being stock on the old HK tables ? Sean
>
sean
Sean, if memory does not trick me, I also recall the Rabco as having had a tube and not " a flatter piece of metal ", as you say.
Detlof
The flat Rabco arm was the original. Then, HK came out with the ST7 and ST5(?) which were integrated linear tracking TTs that had a cult following, and actually sounded good comapred to a lot of what was out there. Bob Graham actually used one to do some comparison listening tests when he first brought out his arm - that was supposed to be marketed by McIntosh, but that's another story!
In case you wanted to see what i was talking about Detlof, here's a link to one on Ebay. I've since been able to find several others that look like this even though i've never seen one before. Kind of amazing to me as to how i could have missed this design all of these years.

Ivan, so what were the "tubular" models on the HK tables called ? Which one actually worked better, the tubular models or the "flat stock" models ? Sean
>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1358781471
Ivanj is correct. The original Rabco SL 8 was constructed with a wide and flat head shell that formed the entire tonearm except for the block and bearing mechanism that it plugged into.

I owned and modified at least three of these, getting excellent performance for the early 1970's. I mounted the early model we are discussing on several turntables including Thorens, Luxman and Linn while I worked in retail audio.

If you buy one and need information, I remember quite a few tricks, including several ways to improve tracking, and a way to speed up the cue and lift.