How did you get started?

There was a thread recently posted that talked about a father helping his son build a system. How many audiogoners got started because a close relative or family member was into it?

I started when I bought my first cdp/boom box. I bought some 6x9 car speakers and built boxes for them. I had both 6x9's and the speakers that came with the boom box all paralleled into the boom box. Needless to say I blew numerous circuits in the house until I bought something with more power. I never had anyone around when I was younger that had interest in high end, I guess I just read a high end audio magazine and was hooked.
s7horton
In my senior your of high school (1976-77). A friend kept taking me with him into the Sound and Music Co-op in Northampton, Massachusetts. He already had the bug (he went on to become a radio jock); and I soon caught the bug myself. Could not afford anything until my freshmen year of college.

As a point of history, the Sound and Music Co-op evolved and later named changes became "Sound and Music"; "Northampton Audio"; and now "Spearit Sound". So Richard Moulding and I go back 26 years (EEK !!!).

TWL - I'll bet they never heard "Shady Lady" or "Slower than Guns" either. Some folks up here in NH/VT did when I pulled an old Iron Butterfly LP ("Metamorphosis") at the used vinyl store, and a huge grin broke over the proprietor's face. That day, they heard it again in the store while I browsed. What a hobby.

My dad started me out with an HH Scott solid-state receiver, TEAC cd-player, AIWA linear tracking TT and Boston Acoustics A60 bookshelves. Nice rig for a kid!

When I "caught" the audio bug again a few years ago, I realized finally that it was always there.

The Scott got "slider-fuzz" in the controls, I passed the TEAC on, I sold the TT, and I just refoamed the Bostons and still listen to them in my bedroom system with Antique Sound Labs Wave 8 tube amps.
Mwilson, I have every Iron Butterfly album. You should also check out the band "Captain Beyond". Several Iron Butterfly members joined that band after IB broke up. The Captain Beyond album with the 3D hologram cover is great, and "Sufficiently Breathless"(2nd album) is also very good. They are on the Capricorn label.
On the IB Metamorphosis album, "Soldier in our Town" is my favorite.
You guys and your Rock and Roll! I got the bug a few years ago when I was introduced to the music of Mozart. I was in Vienna on a holiday and a friend had access to the royal court. He was able to sneak me in for a recital the young man was doing. It was stunning. Such talent for a man his age.
He went on to bigger better and outrageous things but in those days we had to wait for months or years for something new. The small time theaters tried to reproduce his music but only left us wanting the real thing. Since the advent of recorded music things have become so simple most of you don't appreciate what us old timers had to suffer through.
"Peter and the Wolf" at about the age of seven. Then pop, then rock, now classical and jazz.

I had a cheap quadraphonic system when I was about 15. From there I went into mid-fi, two-channel with Carver, NAD, Rotel, and Altec-Lansing speaks. Even got into some esoteric stuff like Quatre and Phase Research, and reel to reel in my late teens, early twenties. Tried building my own, but it just never sounded right. Dual, Kenwood (audiophile series), JBL, Vandersteen......it wouldn't stop.

Then, a couple of years ago I went completely insane.....
Krell, Plinius, Quicksilver, Martin Logan, Dunlavy, Resolution Audio, Audio Aero. Yipes! Not to mention the changes in source materials.

And, the Home Theater stuff nearly broke me (of the audio habit, not financially).

I ought to be committed. In some states, it's probably against the law. Please, Help Me! I might buy again.