Music to test with:

I have found myself coming back to same of the same recordings when I buy/audition a new piece of equipment.
I really like Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" The Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Sessions" both of those on CD and LP. The Bangles "Eternal Flame" Bob James "Touchdown" Al Jarreaus "Mornin'" and even the Carpenters "Make believe it's your First Time" I have also used Andrew Litton conducting Tchaikovskis 6th symphony.
There are many more recodings I like but I was wondering what you use when you are auditioning something new?
128x128nrchy
I test with the same kind of music that I usually listen to. If one enjoys classical, there would be no real point to having a test that emphasizes vocals. Likewise, if one likes piano music, why would testing criteria emphasize hard-driving rock? Why would one test to ensure that his system sounds great with music that he doesn't listen to and fail to emphasize testing with the music that he does listen to?

My tests are along the lines of Newbee's in that, of the things I listen to and am very familiar with, I take the most challenging music to reproduce and listen very closely to the specific instruments. Can the TONE of the drums/cymbals and bass (electric and upright) be heard clearly? Does the piano sound "right"? Is the brass too "brassy"? Are female vocals clear? Are subtle, complex passages resolved? Etc, etc, etc.

Regards
Jim
detlof, because i'm that kind of masochist - you should to see my back - i wear out a whip a week. by the way the operative word was "used" (in the penultimate sentence).
Newbee, LOL, I see your "operative" point. I think, I'll go and try it out right now...Cheers,