Why vinyl?

I understand the thoughts of a lot of you that digital is harsh and bright and has an edge. I know that analog has a warmer fuller sound, otherwise why would so many people put up with the inconvenience of records, cartridges, cleaners, tone-arm adjustments, etc. I used to be there. Of course all I had was a Garrard direct drive turntable. If the idea is to get as close as possible to the original source, why has not open-reel tape made a huge comeback. After all that's how most of the stuff was recorded in the first place. Very few were direct to disk recordings. Why would dragging a stylus through a groove be better than the original? There used to be a company out there called In-Synch that used the original masters and sold cassettes of them, dubbed at 1:1 ratio. I was the happiest person in the world when CD's came out and I could throw out my disk-washer and everything else that went with it, including the surface noise and the TICKS and POPS. Just something I've wondered about.
elmuncy
Heres my 2 cents worth 1st pops and clicks, pops are dirt and clicks are scratches you can clean you lp's and get rid of most of the pops. If you have some lp's with some hairline scratches, you could use a low output moving coil Cartridge. 2 that I have used, the Audio Technica AT-OC9 moving coil cartridge, shelter 501 MKII these 2 are very quiet unlike my vandenhull frog I also think a lot of MM cartridges are noisier too, well what I am saying is some cartridges are quieter than others and a cartridge that is not set up right will also be noisier.

This noise problem is also dependent upon the lp and where and how it was made. The audiophile lp's, Japan imports, etc. are better, are always quieter. I rarely ever clean my lp's and I don't have any problems with pops or clicks. I always when I get a new lp (this most times means new used lp) I put it in a brand new audiophile inner sleeve and a Japanese outer sleeve. I have had about 1500 LP's for about 10 years now. Seams to stay at that number even though I buy and sell a lot. I also believe in Last record perservative this stuff works I have a few LP's that I use when testing or setting up a cartridge and those lp's still sound like new. I have played them over a hundred times, sometimes the same track over and over again.

I have just read a post about disc doctor cleaning system and I think I will get me one so when I get a new lp I can clean it before I put it in its new sleeve then this should be it as far as cleaning the lp goes.

I will admit sometimes I get frustrated when I am setting up a new cartridge and I say "man this is to much work maybe I should go the cd route" but you know I won't because CD just does not (to put it simply} contain as much of the music as lp, most times not nearly as much.

All LP's are not equal either, a first pressing will always have more information than a reissue and the halfspeeds,Japan,holland,GDR,UK,DCC,CLASSIC,Blue note DMM audiophile pressings,MFSL,etc. If you can get these they are better than a USA reissue pressing and sometimes better that a first press. That is why guys go for promos and test pressings they are the first generation pressings.

I have many usa first press lp's over 30 years old that will kick the crap out of any new cd or sacd or dvd audio. These old lp's look like new are almost noise free and sound better than a new reissue, (but the DCC and CLASSIC records reissues I have are great and the best lp's made period.)

I also agree with the comment that this is a great time for analog. The technology is getting better and better and the price is coming down. Some new players on the market are using dc motors ect.

I have said it before HI FI is about the pursuit of the best sound not convenience.

Ya I have some cd's but they stay in my car.

Ron
Thanks Ron. You addressed the importance of quality and how that results in deeper appreciation of the music.

The same motivation that lead me to become an audiophile in the first place.
Ron
Points well made. It really is separating the forest from the trees or the music from the clicks and pops. I would also agree the time has never been better for getting quiet great sound at a reasonable price.
Very good points Ron, in fact I sometimes tend to suspect, that people complaining about those "clicks and pops" don't know how to handle vinyl properly or are even arguing merely from pure hearsay.