Newbie Question: VTA and Rega P25/RB600

Hi all ... recently I've returned to vinyl (and diggin' it!) with the loan of a good friend's vintage Thorens, and while I'm awaiting delivery of my Rega P25 I am wonderin' about setup of the Rega, specifically, about the lack of VTA on the RB600.

My questions would be (and feel free to throw more in, not sure I really know what to ask at this stage)

1) What are the sonic affects of VTA out of whack/not optimized?
2) How do aftermarket mods work in regards to the RB600?
3) Will I need to worry about VTA if I use a none-felt mat?
(Dyna vector 10x4 cart)
breeno
As per Mara & Twl. I'll add: patience is rewarding & keep the arm level, if not, SLIGHTLY off (hi or low) until yr cartridge settles. Then go back & re-adjust. Don't worry, it's easy!
I believe the 10x4 dyno is pretty on for the rega, and you may not need to adjust vta for it. You should look into the specs on it as they compare to the rega cartridges. Better yet, contact a rega dealer, or the importer and ask.

enjoy the vinyl!
Also check out Clearaudio Aurum Beta - it is short and very nearly perfect without any VTA adjustment. It is a great Cartridge regardless.
I agree w/ marakanetz go w/ a spacer for the rega 600 arm, pending on cartridge you use will tell your thickness you need. My last turntable was a p-25/ rb-600 /benz ace as I did not opt for a spacer and fought it the whole time, my solution was to play one side at a time and not lift your needle. So learn from my procrastination PUT THE SPACER IN.
I also put a ringmat 330mkII on it, sonicly I felt it did not change it dramaticly what it did do is reduce the static from the felt mat. As I dont wash every record each play .