Denon 3910 Universal Player - Opinions?

Anybody heard/viewed the 3910 universal player yet? Would appreciate comments on Redbook CD, SACD as well as DVD-Video performance.
Thanks!
srama
Greg,

No disrespect intended, but you are wrong about the issues on the 3910. I have owned the 2800, 2800MKII, 2900, and now the 3910. I've also had the 5900 in my system for a week for observation.

Macro-blocking is display dependent, period. Most of the issues are visible on select plasma displays. The 3910 exhibits none of the issues on my rig. The redbook performance is outstanding. I have my 2900 linked through my Benchmark DAC and the 3910, stock, is damn close. My system is extremely revealing...Krell FPB, Nautilus 802.

If you take the time to read the threads on AVS, you will notice the problems are only exhibited by a couple of individual's units. Could there be some defective units on the market? Sure, but the burden of posters on AVS talking about QC, PC, and other issues are very few and far between. The bulk of the owners are VERY happy with this deck. Including myself.

In fact, this is the first deck from Denon I have been able to listen to Redbook with it's internal DACs, instead of an out board processor.

Jer
I don't know how you can say I, am wrong, as I have not tried the 3910, but plan to.
For being a new model, there are far too many complaints on the 3910 imo.

Denon has already mentioned the fact that there is a problem whith the 5900 whith macro blocking, and I beleive the 3910 uses the same chip.
If there was no fix for the 5900, how can it be fixed on the 3910?

You have to remember that to speak badly of Denon at AVS, is frowned upon, keeping a lot of people quiet.

I was not quiet whith the 5900 macro blocking problem, and I ended up hearing about it from the Denon faithfull , along whith there leader lol.

Anyway, this was whith one of the very first 5900's, and I was told that it was my set up/calibration ect when it clearly was not.

Now Denon freely admits they have a problem, whith no fix, and the chance of ever getting a fix, is slim to none.
My second 5900 had no transport lockup/grinding, or refusal to play certain sa-cd's like the first, but the macro blocking remained.
The second 5900 was bought around 3 months after the first batch.

The 2300 chip also has problems in the 318hd from Zenith while upconverting, so Denon can blame it on that, but I choose, and rightly so, to blame the manufactuer themselves.

They are responsible for testing and QC of there own products.... period, and not using the buying public for QC.

I have read all the Denon threads except the 2910 threads, and there are more than just "a few" people complaining.

Also check the 1910 thread, the 2300 chip thread ect.

I have a dlp projector, and can see macro blocking from not only dvi, but also componemt 480p, along whith other excess compression/noise while using the 5900.
This problem is far from being a plazma display only problem, and a 480p component connection will also show macro blocking, not just dvi.

I don't know what your audio comparison has to do whith the fact that every personal and pro reveiw available, has the Onkyo/Integra as the winner over not only the 3910, but Flagship Marantz,Pioneer ect universals audio playback whith all formats???
Are you saying the 3910 is a much better redbook player than the 5900?
When I compared the 5900 to my Modwright signature, or my Ram modified 963sa, it was outclassed by both players for both sa-cd/redbook.
My plan was to mod the 5900 before I even bought it.
Same goes for the Onkyo, or any other universal in this price range.
The Onkyo is not outclassed for audio, especially sa-cd by the modded players.

Like I said previously, I am going to pick up a 3910 for comparison, after I receive my hdmi/dvi adaptor.

I will use the same set up to compare the 3910/1000 using custom made speakers using all Scan Speak revelator drivers along whith Hovland/ Goetz xovers for my comparison.
The same exact VH pulsar ic's,Audience pc,Ap oval 9's and Ram modified Sim i-5.

For video, I will use the same dlp pj, dvi cable,power conditioner ect to see if there is any magnification of artifacts including excess video compression and macro blocking, and also compare overall video quality.

Funny thing is, only some Denon owners seem to get irritated when there brand of choice is under the scope, but if I ended up liking the 3910 better, or as well as the 1000, how many would be crying foul then?

Have a great one
Greg
The 3910 has problems related to it's Faroudja FLi-2310 deinterlacer. This issue is also present in the 5900, 1920, 2910, etc. See THIS THREAD at AVS Forum for details.