Is vinyl dead ?

Has anyone else noticed the lack of vinyl gear and accessories in the latest Audio Advisor catalogue ? Have sales slipped so much that they no longer feel the need to include this category of products in their catalogues ? Makes you wonder what's going on ??? Sean
>
sean
Rockinroni,

You misunderstood my point about getting a turntable now. I agree that there are more good turntables available now than ever before. I'm not maintaining the supply of tables is about to drop. But, unless you live in or near a major City there aren't many shops that support analog. How many Linn dealers service LP 12's today as opposed to 1985? My point is to get a turntable that doesn't require much dealer support. I sold my LP 12 as the local shop bit the dust and I lost my set up tech. I selected a Basis/Graham because it sounds great and needs no adjusting once it's set up, which is easy. I would be very wary of buying a turntable today that is tempermental.
Yep, vinyl is over. Do you have any 50's jazz LP's for sale?

Why not ask? It worked in the early 80's quite well.
Tube equipment is still around, in fact prehistoric single-ended amplifiers are a fad. Similarly, there are probably 80rpm records being spun somewhere, and perhaps even wax cylinders.

There will always be an interest in historic recordings, even if their sound is not up to the latest standards. It should be considered a different hobby.
The 80's those were the days, every weekend going to garage sales buying collections and trading most of all I gathered to the local used record shops for credit. I only have but a few of those old Garage sale LP's in my collection today.
I do however have a lot of cool stuff I got with the credit.

Egrady, Your statement says the Lp is going the way of the 78. Well the 78 is dead. 20 years ago many said the LP was dead, now is the time to get a turntable that doesn't require much dealer support. This is the very same thing you are saying, BUT I don't think buy your last post you mean the same thing the preachers of DOOM did back in 83.

I personally Have a new sprung turntable. I live in a smaller town and unless you live in a metropolis you will not find anyone to set-up your rig. Even in cities of 1 million you may only find 1 Hi FI dealer,and their setup guy may not be that good.

You really need to learn how to set-up and tweak your own Rig. Just as you needed to back 30 years ago. That is the only way to hit the sweet spot. You have to listen for yourself, and make sometimes many small adjustments.

Egrady, You have a great Rig and I bet it sounds fantastic.
I think by your last post you are saying you personally set the VTA & VTF. Then you know what I am talking about.
Lets keep buying Lp's and spinning vinyl.
Peace, Ron
The die hards still hang on, but truth be told, you wont see vinyl on display at the big dealers any more.
Soundex still has an occasional static dislpay every now and then, Overture's has dropped it for a while ago. Digital is much better than it used to be. I'm sure this response will bring much hate mail, but sometimes the truth hurts.
I myself never could never accept the pos and hisses, too distracting, and for what, a disc that slowly degrades with each use.

Vader