Against everything that high end cables stand for

I just received a pair of Michael Green speaker cables. 10 ft pairs, $2 ft, totaL cost $40. They are unterminated bare wire and appear to be 3 twisted solid core 20 gauge wires. I spoke with an employee of MGD and he stated that they do not recommend terminations of cables as the spades, and required solder only serve to add more colouration. My impressions from 2 hours of initial listening, is that vs other wires Ive tried, it trounced my Yamamura m4000 and PAD cables in every area except bass definition. I will give them further listening this eve, but MGD has these theories that make logical sense (Tuneable Speaker, Room Treatments, Clamping Components, Racks etc) which to the T so far have resulted in sonic superiority and improvement.
128x128justlisten
Derrick, as you might have gathered from some of my posts, i have always had a preference towards solid wire. I am intrigued by this three wire configuration though. How are these hooked up ? Two positives / one negative, two negative / one positive, one pos / one neg / one floating or telescoped, etc ???

As to bass performance, i would expect it to be "light & punchy" but lacking in overall weight and extension. Mids and treble should be pretty good with a high level of "clarity" while sounding "unstrained" with a very "free" or "natural" presentation. How far off am i ? Sean
>
After years of trial and error I have found that cables are highly system dependent no matter what they cost. The cost of $40 or $4000 has little to do with how they sound with your system. You have evidently found a set of cables with properties that are a good match for your other components. That is all you can hope for.

Those who adhere to the "more money equals better sound" theory are doomed to listen to their systems constantly longing for something they cannot afford. There will always be a cable dealer willing to charge as much he thinks he can get. I have no problem with that.

Yes, cables make a difference because their electrical properties are different. Spending more money does not mean you are going to get a set of properties that blend any better with your system.
The point I was trying to make is that I would first question the advise of anyone who is reccommending the use bare copper leaders without at least coating with some solder to stop oxidation or suggesting very regular cleaning. I would also question the strategy of trying bargain cables and hoping for great results. The odds of finding one quickly are small. Herman if you can't hear the difference between $40 cables and $4000 cables I have a really nice pair of cables I could sell you for as little as $3000. They may be a good match for your system. I'll rewire my lamp after your check clears.
Bravo, Herman, Bravo !!!! Thank you for an honest and accurate appraisal that just so happens to agree with my personal point of view : )

The "synergy" that Derrick "stumbled" upon is no mistake. He is using cables, speakers, racks and room treatments from the same manufacturer. Obviously, a "total system approach" has a lot of benefits to it. Sean
>