Records are better. I actually heard it

Just went to a friend's house whose dad has a (somewhat low end) audiophile system. He had on a couple CD's in the background, but once we started talking audio stuff, he plopped on a record.

And I actually heard with my own ears how much better records sound than CD's! Granted, maybe his CD player was crappy, but really so was his record player. He bought the table at the swap meet for like $50 (supposedly great for bargain tables and records as well), and added a $200 MC cartridge.

But the music, oh the music. I had always just assumed it was going to take a ridiculously expensive system for me to be able to hear the difference. But no. The music was alive. Like it was right there, that's the only way to describe it. And it flowed. The highs seemed effortless and non-fatiguing. The record even had some scratches or whatever in it so that it crackled and popped a bit, but even with this I still preferred it.

I need to find a way to make room, but I don't think I'm going to be able to hold off on getting a turntable for very long. Is there anyone who thinks it would be a big mistake to follow in my friend's dad's footsteps and buy an old table at the swap meet for $50 and add a nice $200 MC cartridge to it? He's picking up records at the swap meet for $1-$2 apiece. That's an entry cost of like $300 for sound that appears to kill CD sound.
matt8268
Another "Man finds religion" story". This goes with all the others such as "my ten year old daughter was astounded by the sound of vinyl" etc. Whatever sounds like music to your ears, go for it. Some still claim that 78s have it all over 33 1/3s, go figure. Does any of this prove or disprove sanity or insanity, I doubt it.
TWL is right about new LP's. I've bought 19 new releases in the last two months. These are new artists and new releases (not reissue of old material).
Vinyl is truly a superior medium to Redbook standard digital, but there are still tremendous gains to be had. The heavy handed RIAA EQ radically strips vinyl of transparency and palpability. As a result the modern electronic based phono amp circuit is a serious impediment to quality sound reproduction. Fortunately, there is an effective, relatively low cost solution to this problem. If you're serious about vinyl reproduction you will need to abandon your flawed, overly complex electronics and go with a Direct Acoustic Megaphone Non-Electronic Device. The DAMNED takes the acoustic output of the vibrating stylus and via an acoustically coupled megaphones amplifies the soundwave until it reaches a usable decibel level.

There are two major drawbacks to the DAMNED. First is the size of the required megaphone. Fortunately, the size can be reduced by using a folded horn type configuration and DAMNED systems capable of producing 65dB in room sound levels can be had in cabinets smaller than 16' x 11' x 7' (containing 1.618 miles of megaphone length). If less output is required, the DAMNED is scalable to smaller sizes. Second, a DAMNED cannot be used with standard turntables. Because the megaphone position has to be fixed, the phono cartridge has to be stationary and the record platter has to be movable.

What the DAMNED does is take music reproduction to new heights. Without the problems of electronic circuitry you will be able to hear far further into the recorded performance. Be prepared for unheard of levels of inner detail, inter-transient silence, low level transparency, seamless continuousness, musicality, and dynamics. The illusion of being able to reach out and touch the performers has never been more real. It's reach out and caress. Once you experience this level a palbable pabability you will never be able to go back to the hazy, unnatural, electronically clouded world of normal vinyl playback.

Please e-mail if you're interested. I can provided detailed DIY plans for DAMNs. They can be constructed out of wood (baltic birch preferred) or synthetic polymer resins with a simple CNC router. There's a rumour that a man in Athens is building his from a solid billet of titanium. Sound reproduction doesn't get any better than the DAMNED thing (bad pun intended).