How well does the VPI 16.5 work??

I am looking for opinions on the VPI 16.5. Does this machine do a nice job with cleaning new and old vinyl...
Is it messy... what fluids are used..any tricks?
Is there any comparable products that I should consider..
Kindly,
Joe
Custom Audio LLC
audioman4
Just bought mine last week and it's awesome! Very fast and
easy to use. Everyone's right, it you're into vinyl, it's
a must have.
I have two VPI 16.5's and a Nitty Gritty 1.5FI that i use. The VPI is a much better machine in my opinion. The equivalent Sota machine may be even better than the VPI from what i've seen about it, but i've got no first hand experience with it. Sean
>
By your responses, It looks like the vpi is a terrible product and I shouldnt buy one as soon as possible!!
:) Thanks Much
Happy Listening,
Joe
Custom Audio LLC
I have a VPI 16.5 and the unit does exactly what it is reported to do....cleans the record completely!!! Excellent product.

However a caution. Be sure the felt pick up tube lies completely on the record to suck up all the wet cleaning fluid. I was starting to hear some major distortions in my playback system (I only use vinyl) and could not figure what the problem was. I finally saw, by peering down at the tube, that it was not sitting completely on the record and therefore leaving a moist (not seen by eye) sediment on my records. So what I had was 90% of the record was clean and fine but the first 10% of the disc-at the very beginning) had the remains of Disc Doctor. To add to my problem.....when I put it on to play it was OK...but the next time I listened to a record that had Disc Doctor remains....that's when I heard all this distortion. Boy, was this driving me mad!@!#!!!!

It was an easy fix ( just filed down the base of the tube) and cleaned all my record again!