Cheap SACD Player or wait for DVD Audio?

Do I understand there is a new Sony player for a reasonable price? Has anyone auditioned or purchased this unit? I heard the $5000 one and thought it looked and sounded great but found the price tag a bit steep given the number of titles available. I would love advice from any gurus on this format
melllowmanca9f
Some people have no fear about buying into a new technology that may or may not make it, but the fact that you've posted this question suggests that you are not one of them. In that case, my advice would be this: Do not buy into any new technology until there is enough software out there that it would be worth it to you even if the market didn't grow anymore. In other words, if you're comfortable buying SACD even if only 1% of new releases come out on SACD, buy a machine when 1% of new releases come out on SACD. There's no guarantee that either of these technologies is going to take off. If you buy in expectation that they will, you run the risk of a very expensive disappointment.
Also, remember that the units that are available now are only two channel SACD. In the near future, multi-channel units will be available and you will be left with one which is dated. Marc
i owned expensive SACD and now "cheap" one 9000ES Sony (I paid $1,075). To begin with, its bass and midrange are much improved, highs can be imroved as well (need to elliminate junky 50kHz low pass filter, there are, indeed about 200 titles: classical (ain't nothin' wrong with them), jazz and pop/rock. There are may be three on DVD-A. The SACD sound is much much better then vinil and DVD-Audio I auditioned its second to live event only. It also has DVD allowing to listen 24/96; digital out for 16/44.1 allows you to connect it to upsample unit, right now - if you have money, but CD sound on this unit is also extremely good. I ain't know nothin' about multi-channel (I prefer to have for the same budget 2 best speakers then 5 .... )I know people who spend $60k for good multi-channel but they have these $60. At any rate DSM has multi-channel CDs and Phillips introducing multi-channel SACD (MSRP about $2k). What format will win? My prediction is simple: MP3, ask any mass-consumer. You wanna wait? Wait, and later enjoy "digital sound forever"
Wait a few months.Audiomat have a SACD DVD A CD player comming out In Feb.Sim Audio have one comming.If you can waut this is where things are going.
Simontju, could you comment on the difference between the stand-alone SACD player vs. the 9000ES? I'm thinking about taking the plunge (I also need a progressive player to replace my Sony S7000). I am however fairly happy with the line-doubler in my tv, so would I be better off with the cheap 5-disc SACD player, or the 9000ES, strictly from an SACD only point of view.