Cheap Sony SACD players: best STOCK/MODified

Ok guys,

someone MIGHT pry my Rega Planet out of my (still living) hands IF I can get a consensus on which of these Sony SACD players to purchase and possibly to MOD later.

There's all this hubbub (bub) on AA re: the 333es being an older version of the sacd converter, and the 222es and even the 775 (less than $200 now) being better.

There's the 222es, 333es, 555es, 500v, 775, 9000v, 9000es

I'm looking for a player at $800 total cost.

SO, that leaves a modded 333es, modded 555es, totally modded 775 or 500v, and basically a stock 9000v and stock 9000es.

I just want 2 channel cd/sacd, and dvd only for audio purposes, and only if the player is better anyway (even if it didn't have dvd capabilities).

What up?? Modwright isn't doing mods on the cheaper players any more, Tweakaudio may be (haven't heard back just yet).

Let the knowledge flow!
gthirteen
Joe,

By the way, I bought the 333 instead of a multichannel machine because I have no interest in multichannel or HT. And, the thing I find the most annoying about the multichannel players is that they seem(in my admitted limited experience) to default to multichannel.

Now, that might be a blessing to someone with an HT setup, but it is a curse for someone like me. Recently, at a dealer friend of mine, Mike Leshner at The Stereo Trading Outlet, I was checking out a tube amp. The Marantz SACD player kept defaulting the multichannel, but it was a stereo setup. You have no idea how hollow and bad it is to hear Shawn Colvin being the only voice heard on a James Taylor SACD, despite how much I like Shawn Colvin. It was just plain bad. Then, a guy realized that the Marantz always defaults to multichannel, corrected the problem, and all was good. Except that we had to do this four more times.

Not for me.

If you need DVD, maybe you should go for a DVP9000ES or DVP900. The 900 is multichannel, but not in the ES line. Therefore, after you are out of the warranty, you can have someone like Ric Schultz mod it.

By the way, I believe that I have read Ric on AA say he is not enamored with the 775 and 222 machines. Flimsy constuction. Likes the NSV500, 333ES, 555ES, both 777ES machines(especially, the XA).

GOOD LUCK!
Joe,

The info about someone with serious knowledge of these palyers preferring the 333es OR the 555es OR the 222es is basically what i'm looking for.

I'll do a search today and see if I can find soem info re: ric's preferences...

THANKS BUDDY!!!

JoeC
I own the 333 stock. It is a very nice player for redbooks and just excellent on SACD's. I spoke to Mr. Kern who told me, in his opinion, that a modded 333 (about $850 in mods) will sound atleast as good as most $2000 stock players.

One point that was mentioned above that you should take into serious consideration: The 777's, 333, 555, have a much higher build quality than the newer, less than $500 units that Sony is currently pumping out. To me this better build is likely to translate into greater longevity and sound quality. Good Luck,