Need help with Ortofon stylus force gauge

I've spent the day assembling a Teres 265, Illustrious arm and Shelter 901 for a friend. Included in the package is an Ortofon stylus force gauge which reads in mN. The only clue I have about this piece is that 10 mN = 1 gram. I would like to set it at 1.8 grams for starters since the range for this cartridge is 1.4 - 2.0 grams. Does 18 mN equal 1.8 grams? Also, this is a lever type scale with a groove along the scaled end. Do I place the stylus where this 18 mN would be and adjust the counterweight so that the balance itself is level like two equal weights on a teeter totter? I hope I've made this clear. I'm hoping for some input from someone that has experience with the particular gauge. Thanks.

Patrick
lugnut
I got one of those neat little Ortofon scales when I bought my cartridge. Lovely design. One problem: I don't think they work or, at least, I could not get mine to work properly as there appears to be too much friction. I would recommend the same solution I opted for: buy a Shure gauge. I got mine from Audio Advisor and it was the best price I found and was delivered promptly and well packed. Regards. Patrick.
Patrick - This information is from the manual that came with my Naim Aro Tonearm, which included a stylus scale in mN:

15 mN = 1.3 grams
17 mN = 1.5 grams
19 mN = 1.7 grams
20 mN = 1.8 grams
22 mN = 2.0 grams
24 mN = 2.2 grams

Hope this helps.

Robert
Yes,you seem to have grasped the gist of it.I have an Ortofon gauge and I use it to approximate the weight.It only has 1.5-2.0g given on the scale.So you set it close to 2.0g i.e where you think 1.8g should be.Then you iterate around this area until your ears tell you,you got it right,along with everything else.Take the arm off the gauge to adjust and it is right when level with stylus in the groove. You have to set your bias,vta etc.in conjunction with stylus weight.There are more accurate gauges available. stefanl
Thanks guys. I experimented with it on my Linn and it matched so it's close enough for now. I simply can't wait to listen to this table. I'm going to get spoiled fast.
It's almost useless, as Pbb says, but not quite. Stefanl's right, you can get close with the Ortofon and then set by ear. The Ortofon will just help you make sure you're within the 1.4-2.0 range but that's about all.

If the 901's new it needs 40 hours or so to break in before it really opens up and plays. Tell your friend to be patient, it's worth it.

Going off to listen to mine now before a week away. I'll miss it. Sniff...