SACD Dominates Recommended List

Stereophile just placed 4 CD players in it's top-rated A-Plus Recommendation List. Three were SACD players: the Marantz SA-1, Sony SCD-1, and Sony 777ES. The fourth was a $15,000 Meridian.
tommart
I think this just shows how far south stereopile has dropped. I have listened extensively to the Sony SCD-1 vs Levinson 360S/31 combo. While SACD's do sound quite good, the sony in no way compares to the levinson on 44khz discs. Period. For the 'pile to create a new class, A+, just because these units can play new formats (SACD, 24/96, etc), which represent < .1% of all recorded music, is just plain bs. The 'pile must peak the interests of readers to get people to go buy something new. This is the only way they can get people to keep reading their, sorry to say, rag. What once was a respectable, reliable source, is now nothing more than paid advertisement.
Oh you goofs!! Stereopile has to boost SACD so the format will catch on so everyone will have to buy one because its THE new format AND we'll have to replace our music libraries with SACDs. I personally give the format 5 to 6 years, by which time some other format will be announced as the latest Second Coming (no heretical insult intended) and we'll be off on the chase again. (Just as an aside - look for that new format to be chip based and require an entirely new and initially, then permanently, overpriced component, with the attendant demand that once again, you must replace your (now) SACDs.)

Or, you can come to my house and we'll whale away with the best 78's you can get for a quarter (which means pretty much all of recorded music up til 1956 or so!)

chas