SACD Dominates Recommended List

Stereophile just placed 4 CD players in it's top-rated A-Plus Recommendation List. Three were SACD players: the Marantz SA-1, Sony SCD-1, and Sony 777ES. The fourth was a $15,000 Meridian.
tommart
Hello Bruce:

I feel your pain, as I have over 1200 Redbook CD's myself.
Buy the Sony, find the outboard DAC of your dreams, and have the best of both worlds. Some of today's better DAC's, like the Dodson, or the AudioNote 1.1 offer either DIY or modular upgrade paths.

Some of the SACD's I've purchased have been dupes of stuff I have on redbook, but the increase in sound quality in many cases has taken the sting out of the cost. www.hmv.com out of Canada currently offers the best prices but has the smallest selection, but it is getting better.

Paul
If SACD format is going to be sucessful long term for the masses, a few things have to be accomplished and supported.
1) The recording labels should make all the SACDs hybrid format. This would allow anyone to start purchasing them.
2) Prices on the SACDs have to be in the $15 range.
3) The machines have to be priced below the magic price point of $399 (just like DVD machines and there success story).
4) Wider distribution of outlets means, more backing of recording labels = more titles. It's a numbers game.And the Sonys & Philips of the world care about one thing and that's moving a whole lot of boxes.
5) Forget about DVD audio. SACD is superior when it comes to sound. DVD should should stay within forum there best at and that's video.
(This is what I see looking in from outside and just an opinion).
Having owned a Sony SCD-1, I did not find the sound to be
much better than a good MFSL cd or any other well recorded
cd.
I sent it back because it did not sound as good (in cd mode) as a very
good standard cd player.
My Cary 300 sounds so much better than the Sony did.
But to be fair...I did not have many sacd's to
really hear what they could sound like compared to titles
I have on CD.
And for the most part (again with limited sacd's)I thought
cd's sounded as good or better.
Maybe I'll give it a try as soon as they have at least
20 SACD's that I want to buy.
I don't know about you guys but I'm in no rush to buy these first generation players. I didn't rush to buy the first generation DVD players either and don't think I missed much by not purchasing early. However, I believe that Sony-Europe is releasing a new version of the 777es player. I believe it might be a multi-channel player that goes for close or about the same of the original player. I understand that in order for the format to take off we must show early support for it but I've never been that kind of buyer and I'm not going to start now. Besides, I'm happy with my Redbook CD performance right now and don't have the uncontrollable urge to upgrade.
1. Right now, Sony is the only label producing SACD-only discs. I hope Sony soon stops this practice.
2. A recent article in a German magazine stated that Sony will soon lower Software prices and begin producing only multi-layer discs. Hope the article is accurate.
3. The SCD-333ES can now be bought mail order for under $800, and Sony has announced a $300 (list)CD/SACD and a $400 (list) CD/SACD player to be released this summer. Also, two models of Sony's Dream system will have SACD. I bet before Christmas, several of Sony's DVD players will have the SACD option. In addtion, we'll see SACD models from Phillips, Marantz, Pioneer, and Sharp. In addition, several High-end manufacturers are developing SACD players. Accupahose has a $28K model.
4. We'll see wider distribution once the $300-400 players hit the market.
5. Sony says it's not competing with DVD-Audio. SACD is a better CD, not a better VCR. No menus or video required. Most players have been CD/SACD only.