Alternative to AZ Matrix

Hi,
I have the Silver Audio Appassionata IC (Amp>Preamp) and the AZ Matrix (Cdp>Preamp. The problem is with the Matrix (new ver.) I have some bass and midrange boominess. With the Silver Audio 4.0 replacing the Matrix, the boominess goes away, and I get a great highly detailed and airy sound. I like it a lot, but that combo is very unforgiving of lesser CDs.

Is there another IC that might be voiced between the 4.0 and the Matrix? I also have a suspicion that this might be a systems matching issue. Here's the rest of the system:

Quicksilver Mini Mono
LW-1 Passive Pre
LS3/5a
AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000
Cardas Neutral Ref speaker cable
bluesea
It seems odd that you have boominess, I would not have expected to hear that. I have a couple thoughts:

First try some different footers under your cd and/or pre-amp. Try putting a small 2-3 lbs weight, brass or lead on different areas of your components.

If those extremely cheap options fail to clear up the problem then some experimenting is needed. Question; Are the AZ matrix reference of matrix silver? Did you try switching the cables, AZ on amp/pre-amp?Othwerwise maybe the discontinued Silver Audio 6.0

I suspect one of the cheap options will work. My experience is the AZ Matrix Reference and the Silver Matrix are great bargain products and compete with much more expensive product. The Silver Audio is too bright for my system, so it may be masking other problems in your lower end, I'm not in a position to say. One cable that performed very well in the areas of concern is the discontinued Trinity. This was made from one copper, one silver and one gold strand. They come up every now and then for about $500. If you try everything else and can't solve it write me, we could work out a trial of the Trinity.

One more thought, the Cardas is a darker cable wich may be good with the bright silver cables but with a less bright cable it could cause the boominess.
The Acoustic Matrix I tired was very natural on the low end and throughout the spectrum

I auditioned SIlver Audio Hyacynth and it was very bright/bleached in my system, I loved it's revealing nature, but it put an etchy top end on everything. Then again my pre-amp at the time was brighter than what I have now.

cables are very system dependent

also don't overtigheten cable lugs, that can impede on the sound end (brighter or bassier)

swap out the cables, and also try some cable contact lubricator, can't remember the brand but I have good results with it (will check at home - ambrosia audio sold me this (see their website))

thanks

tom

tom
Thanks everyone--there's some great tweaks I need to try. As for the Cardas Neutral Ref speaker wire, Can you explain a bit?