Alternative to AZ Matrix

Hi,
I have the Silver Audio Appassionata IC (Amp>Preamp) and the AZ Matrix (Cdp>Preamp. The problem is with the Matrix (new ver.) I have some bass and midrange boominess. With the Silver Audio 4.0 replacing the Matrix, the boominess goes away, and I get a great highly detailed and airy sound. I like it a lot, but that combo is very unforgiving of lesser CDs.

Is there another IC that might be voiced between the 4.0 and the Matrix? I also have a suspicion that this might be a systems matching issue. Here's the rest of the system:

Quicksilver Mini Mono
LW-1 Passive Pre
LS3/5a
AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000
Cardas Neutral Ref speaker cable
bluesea
Thanks everyone--there's some great tweaks I need to try. As for the Cardas Neutral Ref speaker wire, Can you explain a bit?
I had a similar situation when I initially plugged the Matrix Refs into my system. Try the Matrix Refs in the pre to amp connection instead of from the CDP to pre--that may help a lot. If sound is still overly fat you should try a pair of Silver Refs that may be more appropriate for your system(I'm pretty sure AZ offers a 30-day money-back guarantee). I use Silver Refs from CDP to pre and Matrix Refs from pre to amp, which produces the best combination of natural upper-frequency detail, midrange fullness, and bass control in my system. Since we had similar experiences with the Matrix Refs this may end up being a nice combination in your system too(mixing AZ and Silver Audio cables may be causing problems too). Best of luck.

Tim
Sorry I was in a rush withthe last post. I find the Cardas Cables to be overly warm and slow, on friend explained it well when he said it was like cement in a garden hose. You speakers and Passive pre are quite neutral and the AZ ic certainly is pretty good but I feel like you are suffering from a bad combination between a tubby cd player with a slightly tubby amp with very tubby speaker cable. If I were to keep all the components and only change the wire than I would go with something very fast and neutral like 47 labs OTA cable kit and use iit throughout. It is $600 and makes three pairs of ic's and plenty of speaker cable, it is a little onorthodox in design but once you get past that it is sensational. After that I would keep an eye out for a good cd player, there aren't a lot of great options right now but it would be worth auditioning some in your system to get an idea of how much the Tjoeb is causing some of your problems.

Have Fun
Tim

I did try the Matrix in both positions. I may have to try the Silver Ref eventually.

Chelillingworth,

Thanks for the great post. That's the first time I've seen the Cardas Neutral Ref. described as dark, and you're right about my whole system being tubby. I have a mean suspicion that my cdp is holding the system back.

I'm also considering the Satori speaker cable, or perhaps a silver cable.
Trying different cd players will definately be an eye opener. The satori is a good all around cable and a good deal when available used.