Alternative to AZ Matrix

Hi,
I have the Silver Audio Appassionata IC (Amp>Preamp) and the AZ Matrix (Cdp>Preamp. The problem is with the Matrix (new ver.) I have some bass and midrange boominess. With the Silver Audio 4.0 replacing the Matrix, the boominess goes away, and I get a great highly detailed and airy sound. I like it a lot, but that combo is very unforgiving of lesser CDs.

Is there another IC that might be voiced between the 4.0 and the Matrix? I also have a suspicion that this might be a systems matching issue. Here's the rest of the system:

Quicksilver Mini Mono
LW-1 Passive Pre
LS3/5a
AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000
Cardas Neutral Ref speaker cable
bluesea
Trying different cd players will definately be an eye opener. The satori is a good all around cable and a good deal when available used.
Hi,

I found the AZ Matrix(Copper) to have exactly the same characteristics. Slight lower-midrange boost and a little boominess on the lowend....These may have not been the latest versions of the cable. Very nice people to deal with at AZ...took them back, and offered to do some custom tweaks to the cable. Never took them up on it because I found something that suited me in the meantime.

Good luck....
Here are a few thoughts that might help and won't cost much.

First I have the LW-1 pre (w/DACT attenuator) and AZ Matrix Ref interconnects between LW-1 and power amp (McCormack DNA-1 r/a-gold). I don't currently hear boominess per se, but I have in the past heard the bass to be a little loose...I've always attributed that to my Vandy 3A sigs though. Here are a couple things I believe helped.

Thought #1 (isolation): A local audio buddy had me over and we were listening to his system and we pulled out a trio of DH Squares (by Golden Sound) that had been under his DAC. Suddenly and to my amazement, the bass became bloated and loose. I thought I understood the importance of isolation, but the difference here floored me. He has a decent rack, cones, lead shot, etc. He couldn't put the squares back quick enough. Since that experience I have added two sets of squares (6 in all) to my DAC and transport (w/o cones). It has tightened things up a lot. List price of these are $10 each. I'd recommend trying a set under different components. BTW, I'm using a polycrystal rack and still hear the differences. The bass gets tighter and more defined with an overall relaxed, natural sound. I have two more sets on order to try under my amp and LW-1.

Thought #2 (CD polish): Another thing to try regarding your comment on some CD's sounding unforgiving is Vivid from WalkerAudio.com. I was using the Mikro Smooth from Mapleshade to clean my CDs. The same buddy gave me a little Auric Illuminator to try and there were improvements. Then he tried the Vivid and "had" to send me home with a little to try. I now use it on all CDs with excellent results. Again, I sat listening in disbelief. Kinda felt like a newbie...switching cables for the first time. Doesn't even sound like "digital". BTW, I did try some car polish (Zaino - great stuff) but didn't do much for the CDs. Price is $65 shipped when purchased direct with a money back guarantee. A must try!

Thought #3 (A/C receptacles): To smooth things out, try a single FIM receptacle...$60. See http://www.gcaudio.com/Archives/summerfall2001.htm. IME, this is an accurate review.

Regarding speaker cables, I use the AZ Satori's and while I haven't tried other ones since I retired my AQ's (too short in new setup), I can recommend them with confidence.

Power cords...'nuf said.

Here is my system for reference only: http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/837.html

Enjoy and good luck!

-- Greg

YMMV, IME, IMS, etc.