Sony SCD-C333ES a good buy?

I have been considering moving into the wonderful world of SACD after finding out this player can be had for only about $600 (don't ask me where =). I've read some reader-reviews in the April issue of Stereophile, and it seems that it doesn't touch the 777... but at this price, it costs less than 1/3 the cheapest new 777 I've seen online. Even though it's not the best CDP out there, is it a great buy at around $600? Right now I have a Marantz CD-6000 OSE (un-modded). Thanks in advance!

Dan
grossdp
The $600 price is at J&R Music World. Their internet address is www.jandr.com.
If memory serves, I recenltly read that Sony will soon be releasing a C555ES. I can't find any info on the site. Can anyone shed any light?
Pops - check out the Crutchfield site for the new 555 sacd player - 5 disc multi-channel with bass management - some details provided but I would suggest Oade Bros. for what maybe the cheapest price...
The 333 is a stereo CD/SACD player. The C555 is a Stereo CD/multichannel SACD player.

The 333 can be bought for around $600. The C555 lists for $1700.
Tommart:

Where can you get a Sony SCD-C333ES for $600.00?? I just saw that VERY same player on Crutchfield's site for $799.00 earlier today, and I thought I was doing something. But if Sony is going to start producing affordable SACD players, then when are they going to start producing "single disc" players for the United States?? They have a "single disc" that I might be interested in, but unfortunately, they only produce it and sell it over in England. That player is the SCD-XB940. Has anyone heard of that player before?? I like that player. It would be the perfect compromise "niche" player for those of us who want something a little more "audiophile" than getting a changer, but who cannot afford or won't spend the money to get an SCD-1 or a SCD-777ES.

However, if Sony does not import the SCD-XB940 over here to the states, then I may have to settle for a SCD-C333ES. It may not be able to beat either the SCD-1 or the SCD-777ES in terms of build quality or sound quality. But hey, if I can get close to 85% to 90% of the sound of either SCD-1 or the SCD-777ES for a price that is either for less than "one eighth" of the price of the SCD-1 or less than "one third" of the price of the SCD-777ES, and it is rated as a Class B player in Stereophile on top of that, then who cares. That may make me put off the purchase of the Meridian 506.20 or 506.24 only temporarily (unless I audition a Rega Planet 2000 and like the sound of THAT player as well..... and in which case, I may forgo the Meridian 506.20 or 506.24 permanmently and pursue a Rega Planet 2000).

Thoughts?? Anyone??

--Charles--