Assemblage 3.1 vs. EVS Millenium II DAC

I am in the market for a moderately priced DAC, am looking for a detailed yet smooth-sounding unit. Would be running the DAC on a Meridian 500 transport, Spectral/MIT system. Any and all comments welcome, including transport-DAC cable recommendations. Thanks in advance.
billspecfoc
It's a new piece as i have never done business with him before. I'm just curious as to how it will stack up compared to a tube based DAC ??? I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see... Sean
>
Hello, everyone. I talked with Ric the otheryesterday about the Millenium II DAC. I hope I don't get in trouble with Ric for posting this, but he actually recommends going with his newly upgraded Sony 9000es over the separate DAC unless your system requires use of a separate DAC. He stated that if of equal quality, the single box unit would always outperform a separate transport and DAC because of a "an unretrievable 10% loss of information b/t transport and DAC." This in light of the fact that he would make MUCH less money upgrading the 90000es vs. selling the MII. He doesn't have a firm price on the upgrade cost for the 9000es, but said it would be b/t $300-400. The 9000es can be had for $1150 to your door from www.oade.com. This is certainly something I will be pondering in the next few weeks. If anyone has comments on this topic, please jump in. I am desparately seeking your opinions and experiences.
Ric told me basically the same thing. He also told me that the Mill II might only last 6 months before he has the next version ready to go. Then again, his "6 months" would work out to be about 3 years in our time. I'm simply using the same conversion ratio of his estimate of getting us the Mill II "in about 2 months", which has turned out to be almost a year or so. On top of all this, he also said that his mods to the 9000ES are quite simple and not real elaborate. He didn't want to invest a lot of time "working" these as he is quite sure that there will be more suitable candidates available quite soon. Either way you go, it's strictly a "crapshoot". As mentioned, i should have my Mill II in about two weeks. I've got 30 days to decide whether i like it or not. Believe me, it will not get ANY resting time during that period. Sean
>