DAC or Upgraded Analogue in SACD units?

I have read that upgrading the analoge section of SACD units delivers the equivalent of using a stand alone DAC wiht the same unit.

What is the truth?

What is the cost?

Which have you done?

Thanks,

Bill E.
lakefrontroad
Bill: I'm not aware of any test/break-in discs for SACD at this time, so you'll probably have to use an SACD. There have been some posts on other SACD threads in the past remarking about breaking in the SACD side separately, although I imagine it might be easier and shorter, as the analog stage is the same for both so you are only breaking in the digital section. Glad to see you're enjoying the unit; I'm astounded at how long it takes for these units to sound their best.
I started to wonder if the filters also need separate break-in? It appears that they soften with use. It's unbelievable that I could have to break in five filters and two analoge sections to get first class sound. My brother the lawyer is probably right when he said, "they should be responsible to sell the unit in operating condition. Someone should sue them!" Now, everybody hates lawyers, but, he sure sounded right.

Bill E.
Lakenfront: Some, me included, feel strongly that five filters simply distort music in five unique ways. Keep "STD" which provide the most "life like" reproduction and work on the rest of your system to make it less noisy, mory silky or whatever
Hi Simontju,

I feel as you do. I have tried the different filters and gravitate back to std. Thanks for reminding me.

Bill E.