Cable vs. Electronics: biggest bang for the buck

I recently chronicled in a review here, my experience with a very expensive interconnect. The cables cost nearly $7000 and are well beyond my reach. The issue is, the Pursit Dominus sound fantastic. Nothing in my stereo has ever sounded so good. I have been wondering during and since the review how much I would have to spend to get the same level of improvement. I'm sure I could double the value of my amp or switch to monoblocks of my own amps and not obtain this level of improvement.
So, in your opinion what is the better value, assuming the relative value of your componants being about equal? Is it cheaper to buy, great cables or great electronics? Then, which would provide the biggest improvement?
128x128nrchy
Ok, Ok, the subphase pathologies of the scientific ones have taken about all they can muster, so unless someone else wants to prolong Psych's crushing angst as I'm leaving, its time to let the accuracy-attached take their rulers and go home...

Hopefully, we won't have to ask, or defend, whether cable is a "component" for awhile...
It's frustration--not anger!!!

It's frustrating how some people are unwilling to experiment and find things out for themselves. Instead, irrationality is brought to the table. Then the thread rambles on and on and on till someone gets irate and/or insulted. Not to mention mental masturbation episodes here and there...

At this very moment I am burning in my Dan Wright modded Swans (I got them yesterday afternoon). I'm thinking what cabling will bring the best synergy to the already synergistic mod. I am trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can.

The mod has transformed my little Chinese babies into a top notch speaker. It's so good Dan e-mailed me they outperformed his 6.5K Greybeards. Want some humor? Five hundred for the Swans plus the *heavily* discounted mod :)

Something serious? Today there was a little Priority Mail box in my mailbox. I didn't order anything...the box contained a modded integrated headshell Stanton 500 MKII fitted with a NOS Stereohedron stylus. There was a note that said: "For your evaluation."--in my modded 1200, that is. Some serious people are trusting my ears...

POP UP THE VOLUME!!!
Albert, you're the man! What you have done takes more than money--takes a good ear, patience, goals and, above all, love for music.

It might not seem so, but your approach to building your system and mine share many many similarities--I just don't have the financial resources nor the stability of having a fixed residence. We do share a good ear, patience, goals and, above all, love for music...

POP UP THE VOLUME!!!
Ok, cables are components, y'know, like a rug, or a pillow propped up on a sofa narrowing a sidewall flare. So yes, if a damned wire is as important as a transducer, than so are room treatment apparati, for example. Asa, I can't help but think that semantics issues are just becoming vehicles for highly sophisticated passive aggression.
So I took your damned bait!
And oh, is the digital equalizer that's needed to reflatten the VERY high-ender's speakers' in-room response after being trampolined by high output impedence tubes a component too?
Given what I experience spatially with Aleph P and Aleph 2 monos pushing my arsifal Encores, are you really sure that
my system's deep and palpable sounstage (extends 15-20' BEYOND the speaker plane (this is predominantly due to nearfield geometry using EXTREMELY matched drivers, BTW, and LESS the quality of amplification) is somehow compromised because it's solid-state?
Yes, tubes are great with harmonic TEXTURE (at the expense of amplitude response flatness), and have a TON of compression built into them, so they don't overload harshly
with those ultrashort huge transients we surmise are doing in ALL solid state systems, eh? Talk about absolutist statements, Asa. I oscillate between suggesting that you shame yourself by being self-blind of aspersions you cast that are pure projection...and suggesting from fatigue after wading through the monologues that we just turn the thread off! I sincerely DON'T want to hurt your feelings, here, NOR insult you, and I willingly admit that my human foibles perhaps run deeper or wider than yours. But please, try to wear life like a loose coat, 0k?
Good Night. Ern