as digital source components seem to have. Is this part
of where high-rez..SACD and DVD-A..provide an imporvement
over redbook? Too often I have had high-end cd players and
DACs provide detail..but lack the ability to let me enjoy
the listening. If there is any one thing I can point to
in vinyl vs. redbook, it is that quality of "pace". What
are your thoughts?
whatjd
Whatjd: The biggest improvement in this area in my Redbook based system was gained by using the Neuance shelving (supported by upturned spikes) under the amp and player. If I had only one shelf it would then go under the player/transport. The difference is that it is now difficult to walk through the listening room without bobbing and dancing a bit when music with a good tempo is playing. The same goes when sitting as it is hard to keep one's feet and hands still. I think that this information is generally there in the source material, but it is often more than naught stifled by vibration in the components. Perhaps these vibrations create some sort of a canceling effect?
David, I think unwanted vibration *drains* energy from the machine, energy lost to music reproduction. Aren't our efforts focused on extracting that last ounce of energy from our system as a whole (cords, ICs, isolation tweaks...)? Perhaps the Neuance does just that -- protect agaist energy loss?

Whatjd: IMO, pace is largely (not exclusively) a function of correct/constant speed and tracking/"clocking" ability. In a TT you can influence this ability; in a cdp you're limited to mechanical devices again, unless you happen to be qualified for electronic experiments. TTs are mechanical devices so, if the speed remains constant despite the groove-stylus friction fluctuations, you get the rythm/pace -- when it's there... BTW, Mr T, of Lynn fame, prides himself for having introduced the term "pace" -- hence the british mags -- to world vocabulary! (I'm not doubting it & I like Lynn gear.)

In my *limited* experience with SACD (only the Sony-1) the pace was no better than my redbook S-Line. But the resolution, space and 3dimensionality was! I attribute the differences to the software: cd was introduced ages ago! Can you remember the (abysmal) performance level of your '80s personal computer? Bet you don't even want to think about it!

Cheers!
whatjd; I think that many factors in a stereo system can affect "pace" (also called PRT, or Pace, Rhythm and Timing). For example, when I used a Levinson AES/EBU digital cable between ML 37 transport and ML 360S DAC, music was tremendously detailed-- to the point of analytical, but it was not "musical". So I tried A Cardas AES/EBU cable and lost some detail but music was much improved as PRT was much better. I greatly preferred the Cardas. Cheers. Craig

OTOH, putting a Townshed Sink under my tubed pre-amp increased detail in a positive way while maintaing (or improving) PRT.
I also find "Pace" is most noticeable with a digital source. This is why we debate cables a lot on Agon, especially digital cables from transport to DAC. The digital signal is just 1's and 0's so you would think any cable would do. However, if the cable does a bad job of transfering the 1's and 0's to the DAC (too slow, etc) it will affect the Pace of the music.