MC or MM?

What is the difference between moving coil and moving magnet? The preamp I am buying can accept both.

From audioadvisor, the Grado Statement is MM, which Grade Reference is MC. It almost look like the MM is better than the MC. However, I think Audiogoners can offer better advice then retailers can.
technomarine
It will also help to know what your system is. Advice will mean a lot more. Someone has probably had or tried what you have, so, let us know, and we'll see who can help.
This is what I will be using
Clearaudio EMOTION TURNTABLE W/SATISFY ARM

so want to add either a Grado Reference(MC) or Grado Statement(MM).

Music is: 40% Jazz, 40% Classical, 20% Opera
Techno, I would imagine that would be a great combination with a Grado MC. Probably very detailed sonically. The sonic characteristics of the Grado in conjunction with the Clearaudio could end up being a very neutral combination.

That is what sucks about turntables. You can only assume what a combination will sound like until you actually hear it synergistically. The Clearaudio arm and bearing structure is extremely rigid. It theoretically will make the most of either of those Grados.

Best of luck., Ed
None of the Grados are MCs. But many models come in different sensitivities (e.g., the Reference) and some of these sensitivities are down in what's usually considered the MC range. Confusing? Not as much as their nomenclature :-)
All of the Grado cartridges are versions of moving magnet, not moving coil. Moving magnet cartridges have typically higher output and are sensitive to capacitive loading (capacitance of the tonearm cable + the input of the preamplifier), while moving coils typtically have lower output and are sensitive to impedance loading. That is why a moving magnet input has lower gain and fixed impedance (47k ohms) and perhaps a choice of capacitive loading. The moving coil input may have different options on gain and perhaps a choice of impedance loading (e.g., 100 ohms, 1,000 ohms and 47k ohms).

As far as sound is concerned, my preference is for a good moving coil. There is so much more detail, liveliness and sense of "air" on the top end with a good moving coil. There is a reason why there are not many premium-priced moving magnets offered. As for the really costly Grado's, like the statement, I personally do not like them. I can understand why people like their rich, warm and woody sound, but to me, they are too inarticulate, muffled sounding and shut down on top to justify their cost. The cheaper Grados are another matter. I can see why they would be preferred to some of the cheaper moving coils which can be very thin, brittle and overly bright sounding.