as digital source components seem to have. Is this part
of where high-rez..SACD and DVD-A..provide an imporvement
over redbook? Too often I have had high-end cd players and
DACs provide detail..but lack the ability to let me enjoy
the listening. If there is any one thing I can point to
in vinyl vs. redbook, it is that quality of "pace". What
are your thoughts?
whatjd
I also find "Pace" is most noticeable with a digital source. This is why we debate cables a lot on Agon, especially digital cables from transport to DAC. The digital signal is just 1's and 0's so you would think any cable would do. However, if the cable does a bad job of transfering the 1's and 0's to the DAC (too slow, etc) it will affect the Pace of the music.
I cannot explain digital from a technical stand point, however there are things in the circuit like the "clock" that will certainly affect the Pace if not doing their job well (jitter?).
Phew!...interesting posts. I too have to report much pleasure from the use of a Neuance platform under my old CDP. Is the fine "pace" a function of the improved coherence from perceiving harmonics as better "attached" to their fundamentals? Is it the ABSENCE of distorting spurious vibrations that I then take as cleaner...and therefore quicker (more musical) information?
I used to think of PraT as being more a function of impulse
response and group delay in the gross aspects of the reproduction chain, meaning of course the speaker drivers.
Bass "lag" is a horrendous problem in pro audio. I have a friend who manufactures powered monitors for musicians. He purposely rolls the response off below 70Hz (!) specifically to eliminate that lagging sensation of "the bass following you around the room!". Initially I thought this design was a consequence of sloppy implementation, but then I found that opinion to be seconded by acoustic bass players, too.
If their fiddles require reinforcement they prefer a very quick, rolled-off monitor over a more extended one that is slovenly or overhangingly "ripe". "Don't worry...all you have to hear are the harmonics; your mind will fill in the fundamental." is their rejoinder.
Along this point I have to say that my system PRaT improved
MUCH more when listening to a 3-way speaker with a very fast, tight woofer (Verity Audio) than with others less
"coherent" temporally (Nautilus 803, for example); the effect of the Neuance seems to be to improve the snap of the midrange/treble instead.
I remember how surprised I was when demoing an ARCAM 9 last year: MUCH less rythmic than my old Rotel 855! Why was this?
The Rotel has a much older, simpler DAC, but indeed a beefier transport. Sure the ARCAM sounded cleaner, smoother, more detailed, and bloomier, but certainly possessing less PRaT! Now I wonder if the Neuance could do wonders for an FMJ23?....
So it's becoming clear to me that jitter-reduction, for example, is a component in preserving music's temporal integrity, but only in the context of excellent loudspeaker transducer impulse and phase response as a prerequisite!
"If ya can't dish it out right you might as well not heat up the stove" or some other lame analogy.... Good night, guys.
"Pace" or "prat" is what seperates a good system from a GREAT system. There are many systems that i've heard that can present all of the details of the recording but do it in a manner that seems more like "information" than "music". Sure, you can easily pick out every instrument, tell where it is placed at, tell how many breaths of air the singer gasps in while rambling long sentences, etc.... BUT, does it make you want to DANCE ???? Does it draw you into the performance ? Are you jiggling in your seat ? Can you grasp the emotion involved that went into making that specific cut ??? Do you just listen to "music" or do you look forward to hearing some really good "tunes" ????

In this aspect, most digital reproduction devices seemed to rob the life out of many recordings that i used to love when i was still "vinyling". The introduction of a tube DAC into one of my systems took digital worlds closer to analogue. This added far more space, air, ambience, body, soul and "PRAT" to the system. Instead of sounding like a stripped and sterilized "clone" of a musical recording, i HAD music again. Much like vinyl before it, there was emotion coming from the speakers instead of just a bunch of "digital data" being reproduced. I found it startling to say the least.

Once you've experienced a system with good detail AND "prat", it is hard to go back to listening to a "hi end" stereo system. The difference is akin to the experience that you had when you first heard the difference between your mom and dad's console "stereo" and a "real" component system. UNFORGETTABLE. Sean
>
hey, i would like to add my two cents worth. what is high end audio all about? coming from an epistimological stand point, we are only happy when we live with harmony in our universe, both tangible and intangible. we strive to live in harmony, so we make sense of the world, making tangibles understandable emperically and intangibles understandable abstractly. What does this all mean? We, audiophiles, strive to reproduce sounds as faithful to the original as possible, for, we believe, purest reproduction of sound is the only way to enjoy music, one thing that brings harmony to our lives. In our quest, we try to understand the factors that allow us to faithfully reproduce sound, such as physics and electrical engineering, all of which I am ignorant of. But, if your like me, we strive to come to a faithful reproduction of sound through experimentation between different hardware and cables, hoping to find that magical synergy. And what is that magical synergy? Is it bloated bass? sibilant highs? these are all different, to each our own, according to our personal bias. But, if your transcendental, like me, I do believe there is a rhythm, a beat, that strings all organisms in our harmonic universe, and perhaps, this "pace", is this rhythm that the lucky few audiophiles are able to reproduce.