Living with popping and crackling

Is there a certain amount of popping and crackling to be expected with almost any lp? I have not owned a TT since the mis 80's, but I have been listening to the brother's. I like the sound, and have an old collection of LP's, but it just seems to me that "some" popping and crackling are just the nature of the beast. Am I wrong. I would like to know this before I proceed. By the way, my brother has one of the Rega tables--lower end I think.
papertrail
Todd, take no offense. The idea of needing to clean a new LP is just something that is OFTEN overlooked, even by those who are not newbies! Welcome to the club, I didn't realize this until having an experience similar to Doug, either.
It would seem to me that the more expensive/high end equip. would be more sensitive and thus cause more surface noise if the lp is not perfect.
It would also seem to me that noise filters along with pop and click filters would filter out the musical frequencies that correspond to the pops and cracks. But of course I could be wrong in both cases.
I agree, PT, I have never found the need for filters, but would avoid them at all costs, in any case.