Living with popping and crackling

Is there a certain amount of popping and crackling to be expected with almost any lp? I have not owned a TT since the mis 80's, but I have been listening to the brother's. I like the sound, and have an old collection of LP's, but it just seems to me that "some" popping and crackling are just the nature of the beast. Am I wrong. I would like to know this before I proceed. By the way, my brother has one of the Rega tables--lower end I think.
papertrail
As a new re-entrant to the vinyl realm, I have purchased some 500+ LP's over the past 2 years, mostly used Ebay and private collection jazz from the 50's thru 70's and some early 80's reissues (never go beyond 84 unless your sure it wasn't digitally remastered) I would estimated that less than 5% of everything I have purchased used has any noise (other than the original tape hiss which has been edited out of the digital version along with the soundstage, detail, dynamics etc.). I usually discard or replace any record with even a slight scratch unless very rare. You need, of course, to buy from reputable sellers and buy near mint to very good + records but most stuff is this quality even on Ebay because you can't sell crap for much. (But be prepared to pay well for quality)
If you are getting more noise than this, then record vacuming and cartridge quality (as noted by many other posters) is the issue. You can construct a cheap effective record vac yourself (search the archives) so there is no excuse for poor cleaning. Later you can go for an expensive commercial version if needed.
As a final note, I recently had a party at my home where I played my jazz records to a dumbfounded audience that had never heard decent vinyl. Their expectation was, like yours, that pop and crackle is just a necessary byproduct of vinyl. Their comments went way beyond the absence of this to obsessing over the detail and soundstage they had never realized was possible!
Jyprez, kinda reminds of a couple months ago when my smart-ass brother-in-law came from the Midwest and, when I suggested that the four of us mix drinks and after dinner and repose to the music room to spin some old vinyl, he mockingly said upon seeing the turntable, "Ha! You still have one of these dinosaurs, How can you stand all that noise?!" After about an hour of playing FIFTIES VINTAGE Miles Davis LP's, he was left muttering and I'd wager big money that he muttered all the way home! My turn t0 HA! :-)
For me it's more important to KNOW I can wet-clean with Disc Doctor, than the actual cleaning.

Well, except for really grungy stuff.

You also gotta have a few really shiny-clean records in your back pocket for when digitally-minded folk come over, just for the jaw-dropping effect.
Jyprez...Recordings made prior to the digital age usually had a good deal of "processing", most notably Dolby or DBX. Also of interest is the almost universal use of multitrack recording with subsequent mixdown to stereo, which scrambles phasing, and the "blending" of low frequency material (mix to mono) so as to enable tracking by less-than-highend pickups.

Vinyl does have some virtues, but signal to noise ratio is not one of them. My Dixieland jazz LP's (loud and brassy) sound great. Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (quiet) does not.