New Teres 360

I was just over at VA and saw this:

Teres 360

It is a must see!
jphii
You know, sometimes it just looks like designers get bored and feel like they have to add something - maybe an accent - then maybe a little more here - and there - and pretty soon they've gone way overboard. Such is the case with this 360, IMHO. The brass is excessive and quite garish to my eye. Trouble is, folks see this and might very well turn from the real point of realizing the most important quality of the table - the sound it produces. Though I've not heard a 360, it should be good by all the accounts I've read. I've heard a few from the 100 and 200 series and there's no reason to expect the 360 is any exception. BUT, it looks just awful to me. Eschew the brass unless in very small quantities. Hopefully, all the other accents weren't done just to match the mylar tape....

The whole premise of the Teres beauty is WOOD. There is so much to be done with wood as an accent (patterns, inlay designs, figures, banding, etc.) that I'd like to see that pursued further instead of metal. A step in the right direction, though, is the wood covered motor housing. I've got more ideas than can be listed in that regard. Maybe they'd be interested in an additional designer? :-)
My conversations with CB regarding brass concerned its sonic properties and its engineering properties. I had no idea he was going to use it for its aesthetic properties too.

I like wood too. IMO the best looking Teres is the 320. Solid, simple and sensuous. Like me! ;-)
I agree that the gold looks a bit over the top, but as CB said in the AA post the metal was actually added for sonic reasons. To tone the look down a touch I think I personally would prefer a black accent (like the 340).

If it makes a "substantial" (Chris's word) sound improvement then they should run with it, but maybe disguise it a little. I think the well made, simple, smooth-lined Teres brand appeals more to the conservative audiphiles (aesthetically speaking) rather than the audio jewellery crowd and the gold brings it into that other territory.

OTOH, this makes me wonder what a side by side comparisson of Teres and Galibier would yield. Both manufacturers are pushing high mass designs to the extreme, Teres with this 60 pound platter and Galibier with a 75 pound solid Aluminum plinth. Both designers do claim they sound unique though.