Is it worth purchasing the VPI 16.5?

Having not had the opportunity to audition this product prior to purchasing I was wondering what people who have owned and used this record cleaning system over the years might have to say about it. Is it worth the investment?
rfigster
the vpi is good,if you get one,replace the brush that it comes with,,its terrible,get disc doctor or music direct record cleaning brush,,
Owning two VPI 16.5's and a NG 1.5FI, i would probably recommend that someone interested in buying a machine of this nature check into the SOTA LP Cleaner. In this regards, Nate aka Nrchy was right on the money in his previous posts.

One should bare in mind that the SOTA RCM has undergone some design revisions over the years, so older models may not be the same as a current production model. The list price of this unit is between that of the 16.5 and VPI 17, making it a bit more expensive than the 16.5 but not as expensive as the larger and far more costly 17.

I really don't think that any of these machines are built / designed anywhere near as well as they could be, but the SOTA seems to be the nicest of the bunch within that price range. Since i've been cleaning a lot of vinyl lately, i've really thought about selling what i have and building my own. Then again, i've already got 2.5 million projects on the burner and not enough time in the day, so i'll have to stick with what i've got for right now.

Having said that, 16.5 isn't a bad machine at all. It just isn't worth anywhere near the asking price. Especially if you take one apart and see how they are made / what goes into making one. In the long run, a vacuum based RCM is a very worthwhile investment, especially if you have a lot of vinyl that you value and you want to obtain the best sonics and longevity from your recordings and stylus. There are HUGE differences in cleaning solutions too, so keep that in mind. Sean
>
Best money I have spent on audio gear.... It is amazing how much better the records sound after cleaning.
I just got mine yesterday, and cleaned three LP's from the 70's this evening. VPI recommends useing a dirty, dispensable record, when using for the first time. I found that dirty old scrached up LP, which used to belong to a Drummer friend of mine. I listened to it first, then washed and vacumed it, useing Record Research Lab Super Deep Cleaner and then with RRL Super Vinyl Wash. I was impressed with the results, as most of the snap, crackel, pop noise from the debris traped in the grooves were reduced to less then half, but obviously it won't take the scratches away, as a matter of fact, I think it enhanced the noise from the scratches, by cleaning and sucking out the debris that had been traped in there after all these years, creating a larger, cleaner, deeper gap for the stylus to run over. As for one of my records from the late 60's, that has no scratches or finger prints, and never been cleaned - I was very impressed with the results. So yes, for me, since I love my vinyl it was worth purchasing the 16.5
Yes, it's worth it. however, follow the advice of raytheprinter and use Disc Doctor brushes. Also read up on different cleaning solutions, many of us here use Record Research Labs (RRL) although there is at least one other people swear by. Happy listening.