Used 750-1000 CD Player Advise

I am looking for some suggestions on a CD Player upgrade. I�m not interested at this time in SACD or a combo DVD. I also don�t want to go with separate transport / DAC as space is an issue. I am currently using a 10-year-old Sony ES 5 disc changer. Multi disc capacity is not a requirement any longer. I listen to various types of music from Rock to Jazz to Blues to Country. I don�t really care for a laid back sound and the speakers, to me are already a little soft on the upper end. Any Thoughts?

Associated Equipment:

Amps = Llano A-300 Monos
Preamp = SF Line 1
Interconnects = HT Pro Silway
Speaker Cable = AZ Satori
Speakers = VMPS ST\R

Thanks for the help!
bmccormick
Thanks all for the input. Would the gain in sound quality be worth increasing my budget to $1250 or so.
If you can stretch it a little, definitely look into a Theta Miles- not as good as the 2k players but better than the budget stuff, overall an excellent unit at very good prices lately.
I would go with a good used transport and a used Theta Pro Basic IIIa. Sound is excellent for the price you can get them for.
If you strech your budget to $1200-$1300 you ought to be able to find a used Muse Model 9. This player is in a whole different class from the other units mentioned. The Muse digital gear is amazing and you should definitely give it a listen.