Can almost anyone learn to set up a Cartridge?

I continue to look for a plug and play only because I do not know how and really have no idea what so ever on how to set up a cartridge. Is this something a novice can learn and do with the manual that is supplied with the TT or cartridge? Do I purchase set up aids of one sort or another?
I want to use a MC cartridge and it seems when ever I find something I have a interest in it has a MM mounted or no cartridge at all.
Just six months ago my wife has now allowed me to change light bulbs, so I think I am ready to take that next step and be able to mount my own cartridge.
Ok fellows, be gentle, I am not a young buck, but I am eager to learn.
Thanks,
Dave
valleyplastic
Well, almost anyone can learn, or more accurately teach themself. I would suggest that you first read the faq at http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq.html

I found the article "Tonearm Geometry and Setup" by Kessler and Pisha very informative in that it de-mystifies all the black art nonsense about setup. Laura Dearborn's article "Turntable Setup" is also good.

As far as setup aids are concerned you need a way of measuring vertical tracking force (VTF). I mostly use a Shure stylus force gauge but you could buy a set of electronic digital scales. You'll need a good protractor and you can download these from audioasylum or vinylengine.com

My personal favourite is the "Vinyl Alignment Solution" which is usually available on ebay. It's a protractor plus an Excel spreadsheet. By entering a couple of measurements it helps you identify the "null points" (where the cantilever should be parallel to the markings on the protractor). This is particularly useful because if your cartridge alignment is out it will never sound at its best.

I would suggest that you experiment with a cartridge that you can afford to play around with (i.e. not your Allaerts! - a Shure, AT or Ortofon MM is quite robust and relatively forgiving) and try out removing it and re-installing it and doing the alignment stuff. Next, try experimenting with different vertical tracking angles (VTA) by raising and lowering the arm pivot and also experiment with the effect of increasing and reducing VTF and bias.

The instructions you get with a cartridge give mid-range setting recommendations. You will always get the cart to sound better by making small tweaks to the settings and using your ears to decide what sounds best.
I second this question. I want to try other cartridges on my table but am afraid about mounting them myself. How hard is it really? What tools are required?
The only things you need are a decent cartridge alignment protractor (several phono retailer websites sell them, as a general rule of thumb the cheaper they are the less easy/accurate), some mounting bolts/hardware, and a Shure Stylus Force Gauge, no need for it to be complicated. With these, simply follow the manufacturer's instructions for both the tools themselves and the cartridge recommendations. Once you get past these hurdles and have mastered them, then you can start to get deeper into cartridge/tonearm matching.