tough sounds to reproduce ???

I was listening to a disc that had a pretty good recording of thunder on it just a bit ago. That brought to mind several other "noises" or "sounds" that are pretty tough to reproduce. Obviously, some of this would be recording dependent, such as applause ( clapping ) at a live event. Anybody have any good tests on specific discs that we can compare notes about ? Sean
>
sean
Are there any specific discs with good recordings of the above mentioned noises ? In other words, music based discs that also have "noises" that fall into the tough to reproduce category but are good enough recordings to judge system resolution by ? I'm not specifically talking about "sounds of nature" discs that put you to sleep or are used for relaxation purposes, but if you think that they qualify, please list them.

The disc that i mentioned with the recording of thunder was by "Days of the New" ( OPRD-30004). Since there is no name on it, i would assume that it is simply their first release and is self titled. At this point, i think that they've got 3 discs out now. For those that aren't familiar with this band, think of "angy" yet melodic acoustic based music. It is accompanied by melodic yet rough edged vocal work. I'm not saying that this disc is "reference quality", only that the thunder in the background inspired me to ask such a question. Sean
>
Sean, Actually the 'Days of the New"'s first is a reference quality disc. The 2nd and latest(even though it is HDCD) us not of same quality. Their music is very good. (2nd is the best)Although I don't remember which one has a thunder sound you're referring to. One CD I would like to note here is ' The avalanches's Since I left You. Musically ( essentially a dance genre)this CDs is great in that imagin you are on a cruise, live music is being performed in front of large group of people, the ship is docked, you are near one of the joints and you listen to the music. Very uplifting, noisy, strange, unlike anything you have heard but beautifully put together, such that end effect is you can't stop inbetween and wanna play again and again. Phew!
the tribal drums at the end of the Peter Gabriel song Rythym of the Heat will test many amplifiers and systems - off Peter's 4th album (Security)

as to reproducing musical nuances - yes piano is tough, good way to evaluate cassette tape decks in the old days
percussion can be taxing, and the resonant wood sound of a nice stand up bass can be difficult to do righ ton inferior systems

tom
Stand in the street, right beside a parade that is passing by. Add the sound of twenty or more US Marines marching in perfect cadence and striking their drums in perfect synchronization.

This is so startling that I cannot describe it. The dynamics and overtones went from the extreme highs to well below the pavement and into my bones. I don't think this could even be accurately recorded, much less played back.
sean: if you can find the xrcd2 of "brothers in arms." you'll hear some well-produced thunder. and music.
-kelly