Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Roxy54, I really don't understand what you are saying, "I am also surprised that a transport was not being used at least as an alternative if not primary, since many don't use them any more." Should this not be either that a transport is being used or that transports are still being used by many?

I also used to greatly favor the SPDif over the USB, even asynchronous. Of course I thought Firewire was better yet, but now I am less offended by USB, especially with much better clocks.
Matt, I could not have said it better myself.... You never asserted that you were going on a quest to discover the "best" digital front end.... You stated very clearly from the very beginning that you were trying to identify the DAC component that you prefered for your own system, cabling, and musical/sonic preference... I do not understand what is so difficult about this concept folks!

Just one minor correction... The Rowland team uses Aeris with SPDIF input because they prefer its sound/music than from USB wires of the same length and brand.... The ability of running longer lengths of wiring using SPDIF 75 Ohm coax without degradation is purely icing on the audible cake.

All... Whether Empirical on SPDIF would be preferable to Aeris in a prticular system and for a particular end user, or perhaps the opposite, Is something I will not venture to guess.... I have no direct experience with OD, and any such "beliefs" have no valid foundation without live experience in a controlled environment... But all of this remains a moot point, as Matt's front end feeds a USB protocol into the DAC, and will not change in the foreseeable future.

Besides, there is a new fascinating contender in Matt's grand quest... Alex's APL DSD... Let us see how Matt likes it once it stabilizes completely.... Matt, I am very much looking forward to your well thought findings... Alex, what do you expect to be the complete break-in time for your lovely DAC?

Saluti, Guido
Tbg,
I didn't state it clearly. What I meant was that I wouldn't have expected it to be used as a primary source since so many don't use transports anymore, although I do.
Sorry for the confusion.
Matt, I understand your position, This is about what's best for you, I also understand you are not willing to spend the money for quality cables, A usb cable, no matter the cost is just inferior, and you are correct, A usb cable will not cost thousands of dollars, what I am saying though, Is you will NEVER achieve getting all the sound from the dac you can retrieve using any usb cable or DNLA, can you imagine all the cable companys that would go out of bussiness if a usb cable could out perform a world class spdif cable or analog interconnect?, I have enjoyed your thread, I appriciate what you have done here for all of us, Thankyou