(1)Marantz sa-14
(2)Sony SCD-1
(3)Sony XA-777ES
Which one to choose?
Is Sony SCD-1 still worth to possess?
Need suggestion please
Thank you
sylinnian
John 1: where did you hear a tube output stage XA777ES and did you compare it side by side with the modified SCD-1?

Also, I was told by Dan Wright that the SCD-1 does not have a true balanced output; only a board that splits the signal at the output.
I heard it in my home - Dan brought it over. I only heard it side by side with my stock SCD-1. His tube stage XA77ES was much much better than my stock scd-1. No comparison really. I can't really say if the kern scd-1 was better or worse than the modwright tube player. They are quite different. One has tube warmth, the other has solid state resolution.

I'm happy to offer up my system for a shootout. I doubt it would be conclusive given the tube vs solid state sound of each unit.

I have heard the same thing about the balanced outputs. I know that my modified sony was 'optimized' for balanced output during the upgrade - not sure what that means. I know my modified unit sounds much better on balanced than single ended. The stock unit had roughly the same sound quality on balanced vs single ended.
Has anyone compared stock SCD1 with a stock SCDXA777ES ? Also does the SCD1 have multiple cascaded DACs as does the SCDXA777ES?
Sorry,

The SCD1 still sets the standard in SACD playback. Newest review in Absolute sound. I tired much expensive CD players at home, Linn, Levinson and Krell Reference they all went back.

SCD1 was and is a statement product. Built like a statement product with a power supply next to none.

Phil.
the scd-1 is perfect i'm using it with a theta gen va dac. the sacd is still perfect.