Silly Question: Short Power Cord + Ext. Cord?

If an expensive power cord is too short, would the use of a cheap 12 g. extension cord from the cord to the wall degrade the sonics? Are you the defeating the purpose of the upgraded cord?

The argument would be:

(1) The house wiring is cheap 14/3 stuff anyway, so doing this wouldn't really make the source of electricity any inferio.

(2) Above argument supports the belief that high grade power cords make their sonic difference through filtering, altering, cleaning of the raw AC. Hence, this would have no effect?

I've considered cords for sale that were too short, and wondered if this would be a viable solution -- or is this audiophile HERESY!
kevziek
Thanks, guys, for your thoughts and ideas. Hope to have more responses and opinions.

I didn't think about the fact that one would be going from solid core Romex in the wall to stranded in the extension cord, which probably creates some change in the transfer of the raw AC. Also, another set of connectors for the AC to travel through, which probably alters these unknown AC phenomena / properties that obviously have sonic effects.

However, this brings into question the effect of these 'interruptions' in the AC signal that power conditioners themselves would also create. The AC is going through the cord of the conditioner, its connectors, internal wiring, and then its outlets. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that some audiophiles love conditioners, and others feel they do something detrimental.
Your wondering too much.

Try a quality longer power cord (like maybe a Shunyata) and compare it to your shorter "idea" extension cord hook up. Borrow the power cord from the Cable Company if you need to. But ,don't just use any after market power cord.

Personally, I would think running better wire from the Electric Company pole transformer to your audio equipment would be a huge improvement! Well we know most of that is impossible.
But, dedicated circuits help clean up some of the junk running around the House via the Romex.

Different power cords make different improvements, some seem to do nothing at all.
Again, as you improve the cable running to your equipment so will the sound.
You can try to cheapen that with your shorter cable / extension cable idea and all you will accomplish is a pinched hose senerio.
Try a powervar 12 line conditioner instead of an extension cord and then hook up your short power cords to the powervar. You should get clean quiet power no matter what is coming out of your wall.
I could venture an opinion that your suggestion will sound horrid, but it would just be an opinion. I can tell you that I was having some work done on my system's dedicated mains feed that took a couple of days so I plugged everything into a decent distribution box and fat extension cord to get from another power outlet to the stereo. I was using good power cords on all components. The sound was so bad I decided to not listen to music at all for the two days. I cannot find the words to describe how utterly horrid it sounded, and I was shocked at the enormity of the difference.
I am having the same issue as you are Kevziek. I am planning to plug my amp and DCC2 directly into the wall using my hi-end power cords, and then plug my philips transport into one of my high end power cords and then into an extnesion cord. The reason is that I do not have enough sockets (I have two nearby and need three), and when I pluged my DCC2 into a multi prong adaptor before hitting the wall socket, it killed the systems dynamics. The amps handle the use of a cheap multiprong adapter better but it still losses dynamics. I am hoping that the same does not hold true for the transport (we shall see). I know this is not convential wisdom, as transport usually benefit most from power cord upgrades, but in this case the meitnerized philips is only spinning hte disk and reading the digital data. The clock is in the DCC2. I am hoping that makes a difference. I will not be able to test this hypothesis for a few days...but wish me luck. Eventually when I move into a house I will correct this problem.