Linn Ikemi CD Player vs. Other Lower Cost Options

I am considering replacing my Meridian 508.20 CD player with another unit. The 508.20 CD player is connected to a Jeff Rowland Concentra integrated amplifier and ProAc 2.5 Speakers. I heard the Meridian 588 vs. the Ikemi and I liked the Linn (much better). I heard the Wadia 301 and found it too bright (possible setup problem). I liked the Rega Jupiter also but when compared to the Ikemi, the Linn was the winner (for my ears). The Ayre CX7 is an option that I need to listen to. Since the Linn Ikemi is expensive, does anyone have a recommendation for a similar high quality CD player than the Linn Ikemi but at a lower cost (like under $2,000)? For the cost and value, is the better option to upgrade my 508.20 to 508.24? Comments and suggestions are requested.
hgeifman
I still own a ikemi,and love it,I also owned a genki,which is not at the level of the ikemi.I do not know if you have listend to a genki, but for the price used around 1000.00 it might be worth a listen. Hope this might help.
I have a Shanling CD-T100 with NOS WE 396 tubes in the analog output section. US$ 1995 on AudiogoN, NOS tubes extra. I posted a review here.

Before buying the Shanling I auditioned the Ikemi and I loved it--the Ikemi, that is. But I bought a Shanling because it was a lot less and came so very close to what I wanted, perhaps even outdoing the Ikemi in one or two characteristics.

But the two players don't sound the same at all. If I remember correctly the Ikemi is more laid back than the Shanling. The Shanling does timbres and harmonies beautifully. Both players have a very coherent sound. I'd give the Shanling a listen, remembering that it needs 200 to 300 hours to sound its best.
Obviously the Ikemi is a great player, but at this level it becomes almost more a question of taste. If it were me I'd at least take a look at the Electrocompaniet EMC-1 MkII, which is also a smooth and highly-regarded player at about half the price of the Linn -- I think. I find it hard to believe a Wadia player sounded bright. No idea about the Meridian. Best of luck.
Others to consider:

I have listened to the Naim CD5. This is a wonderful player. I personally decided on the Audio Note CD3.1x. It had wonderful compatability with my tube based system. I mention this only as I am personally a fan of these British products. It seems that you also like this approach.

Also, The Arye player is receiving rave reviews at the Audioasylum site.

Audition and decide for yourself.
I agree with Soix, it is a matter of taste, and how the sound from the CDP is treated by the downstream components. I had an original Rega Planet, and upgraded to an ARC CD-2. (a Class A CDP and recognized as one of the best out at that time.) Though the ARC sounded beautiful in every way, it failed to communicate, to my ears, the emotion of the music. In auditioning, all the audiophile virtures were there, but it just wasn't as satisfying. As a consequence, I ended up with a Jupiter and am very happy with it. As the TAS review of the Jupiter says (paraphrasing): It has some deficiencies, ones that will hurt it in an AB listening session, but it also has a magic, that in long term listening is rewarding.

What are your sonic values? What will deliver those to you in the long term? It is much cheaper to spend too much, than too little and have to upgrade again later.