Will a DVD player work with a computer monitor?

I don't want to own a TV (too ugly), so I was wondering if a stand-alone DVD player will work with a computer monitor?

thanks,ken
kbinner
Maybe have a look at the Samsung MP170 monitor (17"). It is a LCD flat panel, which also doubles as a TV (the tuner is part of the monitor - no TV card needed etc.). It also has two additional video inputs, which should accept the DVD signal. IMHO, it's one of the most stylish LCD monitors out there, which was actaully the main reason for me to buy it (I don't like ugly monitors or TVs either, plus it's a very good monitor, too).
There is no direct way to just hook up a DVD player to most computer (VGA) moniters. The best way would be to get a computer with a DVD player in it. Or to get the right video card (that will accept video in.

There may be some adapter you can get that will convert a component video signal to a VGA signal that can be run to a computer. HOWEVER, if this does exist, it will cost $100 to $200+. I say this because there is an adapter that converts a VGA signal to component to digital component video (made by RCA, I use it to hook up my RCA HDTV receiver to my Sony HD compatible set). This adapter ran about $170 or so new.

Good Luck!

KF
YOU CAN GO TO VIEWSONIC WEBSIDE TO BUY ONE OR GO TO BESTBUY
STORE TO GET IT.IT NAMES HIGH RESOLUTION TV TUNER,IT WILL ACT LIKE AN ADAPTER SO YOU WILL USE IT WITH ANY KINDS OF COMPUTER MONITORS.HERE IS ITS NAME VB50HRTV ,IT COST 99 BUCKS.I USED IT FOR MY MOBILE VAN AND I DONT HAVE TO BUY A
COSTLIER MONITOR TO WATCH MOVIE.GOOD LUCK
Sounds like it is easier to just buy a TV. There is a nice device a friend uses to put video tape (or any video input) onto DVD with a DVD-RW. It cost about $400 at Best Buy I think. It even has a S-VHS input.
If you can find a DVD player with VGA output you can easily connect it to a computer monitor. Many DSS tuners have VGA output, especially those which are HD. So you could actually use your computer to watch satellite and DVD and forego a TV entirely.

Alternatively you could look for a DVD player with DVI output and use that with one of the newer digital flat panel LCD monitors which has DVI input on it. DVI output is harder to find than VGA, and you can generate VGA from Component Video or SCART because they are all analog whereas DVI is digital so it's a matter of whether the player actually supports digital video output or not.

If you cannot find a DVD player with VGA output, you should look for one with SCART output. You can easily obtian a SCART->VGA cable from a variety of cable companies and then you'll be in business.

If you need any help with this feel free to email me off list at evan@symphonysound.com and I would be happy to help you.