Love for music shatter by highend equipment

Music is life, I rather be blind then deaf. It's pretty sad when I realize that my love for music was shatter by high-end equipment. I have friends that refuse to listen to music because it’s not coming from a high-end system. It’s ridiculous that throw away CDs because the record is not to their standard and they won't listen to it. As a result they listen to only a few CD over and over..and over..... They don't listen to the radio. They don't listen to the stereo in their car. What is going on, could it be the mind playing tricks. After all we are spending $50,000 on a system, and it could make us forget that, "Its all about listening to the music". I have to admit, this high end world is an enigma..

Danny
trandanny820
Right on Sean! But, speaking of discs that sound like crap, does anyone have a system that makes Santana's 'Supernatural' listenable?? When I come home and my sweet wife is cranking this CD on the living room system I shortly start developing a homicidal rage-- Lou Ferrigno morphing into Mr. Hulk. She senses my hostility and plays another disc while I compose myself with a brew or two.
When I had a tube preamp in my system, "Supernatural" on CD actually sounded pretty darn good. I haven't played it since I switched to a solid state preamp, but would imagine that it's still pretty listenable because most other recordings sound fine. I have heard the CD sound horrible on other systems though -- one in particular using the Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams, which sounded very bright on virtually everything we played. I have a feeling that those systems that tend toward brightness will make this recording sound bad because the recording itself is a touch hot. It may be that simple. It could also be that your digital gear tends toward brightness. I'd wager that if you toned down the system a bit in the high frequencies and got that recording to sound tolerable, you may find quite a few other recordings in your system sound better too...
It seems unfortunate that your misguided friends have missed the boat with respect to the point of it all. I enjoy high end equipment because it playes music so well. My passion is musical enjoyment and the best gear in my mind brings me closer to the artists that I am listening to.

The car is one of my favorite places to listen to music even though my car audio system doesn't begin to approach the sound of my home system. Listening in the car combines two of my favorite things to do, listen to music and drive a spirited car (2000 Jetta with a five speed manual, sport suspension and VR6 engine). Listening in the car is like traveling on two journeys at once. The musical journey and the trip you are actually taking. It's almost like being in the bathroom, no kids, no wife, no cares. Just me, the road and my music.

Equipment in the car can be descent if one is willing to spend some money and consult professional install guys that understand love for music. I reccommend MBQuart speakers for car sound, Top of the line Sony for cd play back and an changer for long trips. Currently, I'm using an xtant amplifier which while no where near as powerful as my Krell amp at home is powerful enough, clean enough and warm enough to send me on my musical journey. Lastly, wire does matter even in the car. The hardest thing I have had to get across to auto system installers is that good wire makes a difference. I usually by my own wire and insist that they use it. One more thing. A high quality sub. Those JL audio Stealth subs are fantastic and they usually integrate in a hidden way in the trunk.

I also listen in the office. I'm listening to music right now as a matter of fact ( a used Marantz 1060 integrated, a apair of NHT model zero speakers a sony es series cd player with my old and trusty audio alchemy da converter) Not cutting edge but boy does my day fly by. In fact the most miserable job I ever had was a job that required me to work in a cubicle (I will never submit to that again) I couldn't set up my system and I hated it. anyway, good listening and remember it's the music that communicates the passion!
EJCJ
Sean, I agree. It's very hard to make that kind of transformation. I'm still trying to adpat to both worlds. Still the balance is very off. The stereo side is winning the battle. Hopefully, one day I will create that "majic" so both world can be bound together.

Danny