philips sacd 1000 as a redbook player

taken at the $399 price, if the sacd 1000 was only a redbook cd player what price range ( cd players) would it compete against? and what highly regarded players would it best?
128x128mboldda1
All you people saying the PHILIPS SACD1000 is a good RedBook CD Player should go perform a "Ear Check-Up", as I suggest personally. Maybe some ear-tube cleaning needs to be done. For $399.99 and all that format compatibilities, it's a keeper; for the sound, it's a sucker! For spending $500 & another $800.00 to mod it, and when it breaks down and you all couldnt repair ir because you void your warranty, it will definitely be a lesson!
Context. context, context people! For a $399 player it does redbook at good value for the money. No one is saying that this is a $399 redbook player that is as good as a $1000 redbook player.

HOWEVER, IMHO it would beat the Rotel 991 (which was a $1200 player list new) but does not beat the AH! (about $1000 with all upgrades new. But, you have to keep those observations in context to the price of the player, the purpose of the player (SCAD), etc.

Also keep in context the original post where TOK 2000 asked for opinions and observations.

Bottom line: for a $399 peice of equipment it more than holds its own at THAT price point even with a head full of earwax to boot. LOL :)
Philips SACD1000 MSRP is $1599.00 and it's SUPPOSED to be treated like a $1000 class player. Dont let the price drop lower your expectation. Let me ask you, if this unit is never on sale and is $1599.99 would you buy it? and would you still think it's worth it and use it for redbook reference?
So, pardon me and dont get me wrong. For $399 tweeter price, it's still a SUPER DEAL. I am keeping one myself...