Esoteric DV-50: Tweaks, Up-sample settings, etc.

Hello All;
I would like to hear from DV-50 owners out there who have fine tuned their units with various powercords, isolation devices or stands, EMF/RFI tweeks, cables etc. Have you found an Up-sample setting that seems to work well, most of the time, with all discs? I have found that some older discs do not benifit from up-sampling. Are you using the single-ended or balanced outs?
I am currently using the XLR outs with HMS balanced cable, but the gain is super high.
What is the consensus on the ground wire hook-up?
Are most of you using it, and if so are you grounding to the pre-amp, amp or to the screw on the receptacle cover plate?
Leave the unit powered up all the time? Shut down occasionally?
I really appreciate, in advance, all of your input regrding these subjects.
Thanks; Tim
128x128soundlogic
Interesting that no one suggested looking inside the unit for parts to upgrade.

If you looking for just checkbook plug and play mods/tweaks, suggest you try the Audience Power Cable and Au24 interconnects if you're looking to produce music rather than just hifi effects.
Career..... I have tried and owned both Argent Audio Pursang and Purist Audio Dominus "digital" cables. The most obvious difference is the price, with the Pursang as the clear winner (about one-third the cost of the Purist cable). On the other hand, the Dominus was superior, with the most notable difference in the foundation dynamics and cutting through quality (backround instruments come to the forefront for a slightly more accurate presentation).

Overall, it is my opinion the Pursang is the better buy, especially since the Pursang is more affordable and is truly a very high-end cable. The Pursang is widely regarded for its coherency, detail, musicality, and tonal balance. Just to let you know that I tried many other cables in my system, and I've settled on the Pursang interconnects and speaker cables (with the Dominus digital cable).

If money is not an object, than I'd give the nod to the Purist Audio Dominus cables.
I'm so glad to find this post! My DV-50 has been in the house about three weeks and it still never misses a chance to make me break out in grins...
I'm using the Audioquest Panther RCAs and they seem very well-suited. Admittedly, my player is still "breaking in" somewhat...
The RDOT / FIR filters are still being auditioned, although I agree with another post on this thread: at times, the RDOT+FIR will sound a bit "hashy" with a bad CD (those "relics" from the 80s...). But for almost everything else, I've left the RDOT+FIR filter combo in place. It seems to give the music "heft"...in a good way.
I haven't tried grounding the player to the amp yet. Has anyone ?????
I have to admit, I'm a big fan of this player, but it has one major flaw.. The DV-50 will expose any improvement, as well as any detriment, you bring to the system... For instance, (and I know this isn't REALLY a problem, but bear with me): put a better cable in the signal path and the sound jumps up quite a bit.. you begin to get that nagging "audio-enthusiast" question banging around in your head, "well, maybe if I add this ONE MORE BYBEE FILTER...". I can't remember wanting to tweak my system like I have since the DV-50 showed up.. you just want to put it in the best environment... it seems so "up to the task"...
I agree with Jeff s12a - and I've only had mine for 4 days! My remote doesnt work - is a light supposed to come on in the remote? I'm hoping its the remote and not the unit's "eye" that is defective. Hate to ship that monster back! Because the remote doesnt work, I cant keep playing it on repeat, so it will take forever to break in - until they fix it.
Any remote problems, anyone?
Springbok10: The DV-50's remote is not lighted. My remote works fine, but I seem to remember that on the Sony SCD 777 ES, there was a switch on the back panel to select either of two remotes. I accidently moved this switch several times, and had to return it to the correct position to enable the remote. I'm not sure if the DV-50 has such a switch, since the rear panel cannot be easily accessed in my cabinet. Check your owners manual, and also check to see if your remote's batteries are inserted correctly.