Redbook+SACD Player to Replace Denon 5900?

I need some suggestions folks. I'm thinking about downsizing my system somewhat by getting rid of my Denon 5900 and going with a seperate DVD player and Redbook/SACD player. I don't care if it has DVD-A capability. I've even thought about forgoing SACD completely and just going back to Redbook.

My budget for the CD player is $1000 tops. If I decide to just go Redbook, the top contender on my list is a modded Jolida JD-100A, merely because I've owned a stock unit and loved the sound.

Does anyone have suggestions for me? My downstream equipment is mid-fi: Aragon Soundstage pre/pro, Sherbourn 5/1500A amp, Onix Rocket RS750 mains. Thanks in advance for your input.

Doug
dpippel
Have you considered having the 5900 modified? A number of aftermarket guys, including Dan Wright of Modwright and Alex Peychev of APL, have reported that this player has the potential to be excellent on redbook. I personally had Dan do about $800 on my Pioneer 563-A, and redbook performance improved significantly in every area.

Considering how much better the 5900 is than the 563, a similar investment in mods could yield even better redbook performance for you. Plus, you wouldn't have to give up SACD or DVD-A. Keep in mind, you might wind up regretting it if you abandon those formats and later become interested in new hi-rez releases.
I agree with Thedautch. Unless you spend a bunch more money (which it doesn't sound like you want to), you won't do better with a seperate DVD player and Redbook/SACD player than you'd get out of a modded 5900. Mine is in Dan Wright's capable hands as we speak.
Onecall is blowing out the Philips 963sa for $286!!!! Has the upsampler for redbook.
Tombowlus, will all due respect to your enthusiasm and Dan Wright's
modding proficiency, how can you wholeheartedly recommend a player
you haven't heard? You have no idea until it's in your system, and you've
given it a critical listening period beyond the gee-wiz placebo-effect
first couple of weeks, whether the Modwright 5900 is everything you
expected it to be.

The point is, one cannot credibly recommend any component based
solely on the comments of others. It's up to those who have heard the
equipment to make recommendations. After you've received the
Modwright 5900 and given it a critical listening period, then you're
comments will be valuable and legitimate.
Thanks for the opinions guys. However I am trying to downsize, ie, save a little moola, so spending MORE money to have the 5900 modded isn't an option. In fact if I decide to go through with this plan I'll be selling the 5900.

I've already found a DVD player to replace the Denon for video duties. Now I need a CD player for the audio side of the equation. I'm quite happy with the way the Denon sounds in its stock form on both Redbook and SACD, so I'm looking for something comparable (or better).