Chord 64, ECD-1, Audio Logic, Dodson DAC opinions

I am in the process of researching and will be shopping for a new(used)DAC in the near future. The ones I am considering are Chord 64, ECD-1, Audio Logic, Dodson. I am looking for some opinions from owners or people who have auditioned them. I won't have a chance to listen before I buy and hope some experts could chime in to give me their ideas/opinions. I am also concerned with price to performance ratio. My system is Krell solid state power amp/pre, speakers are Coincident. I listen to all types of music besides classical. Thanks for your help
nicksgem10s
Make certain to add the Benchmark DAC-1 to the list. It is at least as good as any of those under consideration and will be the least transport sensitive. Don't let the plain cosmetics and low price raise any concern - the DAC-1 is an excellent digital decoder and a stellar value. Good luck!
I also compared the Benchmark, Birdland and Wavelength DACs to the ones I mention above and although these are very good, they IMHO did not offer the same sonics as the AL or Chord. I also tried a preamp by the person who mods the Benchmark and while it was excellent, it did not better my Pass X-1. Hope this is helpful. You need to hear a few on your own to understand what each of us are saying about the sonic signature of each DAC.

Happy Listening.
I used to owned chord dac and i think this is one of the best dac at the price. The Electro EMC 1 cd player up is a good player but not outstanding. To me, chord is just better in every way. much better dynamic and detail that you never heard from the Emc 1.
Now i have dcs delius(even better).
I participated in the shootout Philnyc hosted and mentions above.

I was the only person there who didn't own or wasn't selling one of the units.

To my ears and tastes, the Audio Logic was the one and I put my money where my mouth is and bought one.

The newest Audio Logic is absolutely NOT tubey and has very good performance at both extremes and is special sounding in the midrange.

I owned the ECD-1 for over a year and the Audio Logic replaced it. If you do go the ECD-1 route, I highly recommend having it modified by Steve at Empirical Audio. The stock ECD-1 is good, but once you hear the Audio Logic, Dodson, modified ECD-1, you will hear how apparent its short comings are (bass isn't as well defined as it could be, highs are scattered and not coherent).

George
I have lived with the Dodson for 3 years now, first as the 217 MKII D, then with 218 upgrades including isolation transform at coaxial input. Stated simply, it has "disappeared" into my system. I never give it a thought. It is so neutral, detailed and natural I would not think of replacing it; in fact, it is the only componentin my system I haver not considered "upgrading". You will hear voices as natural as if they were present, sparkling highs and deep taut bass. No trace of digital harshness. I use a CEC TL-1x transport, PAD Dominus (latest)digicable (trying out as replacement for Kharma Grand Ref)and an Elrod EPS 2 Sig power cord on the DAC. It is sensitive to transport,IC's and PC's, which should be carefully selected.

Also, Ralph Dodson is a fine, knowledgeable gentleman who is always helpful in answering questions or providing service.

FYI, I have a Krell 300cx amp, Wyetech Opal pre and Von Schweikert VR5 HSE speakers.

Have not heard the other contenders, but was an early adopter of CD's in 1986 (Magnavox 650) and have had a number of CDP's and DAC's since.

Hope this helps.

Neal