Is hdcd worth having ??

I'm going to buy a universal player==probably the Denon 2900. However, for about the same money I can buy the 2910, which has HDCD. I think the 2900 may be better overall, but was wandering if HDCD might be a good reason to go with the 2910.
papertrail
In my experience HDCD buys little or no improvement, particularly in view of the newer high res formats. However, I thought that the 2910 had other new features which you might want.
I bought my Lindemann to play sacds, but most enjoyed the HDCD reproduction. I look forward to my Exemplar/Denon 3910 and its ability to play HDCDs. I find HDCDs a very great improvement over cds. I expect it will often rival XRCD24s and both to be superior to many sacds and certainly better than nearly all dvdas. I know nothing about the Denon 2910, but the 3910 is clearly superior to the 2900.
I would definitely opt for the HDCD-enabled model. Well done HDCDs sound *great* and can be found much cheaper than XRCDs, SACDs, and other hi-res formats.

-rw-
I would have to agree with the 2 positive posts. Nearly all the HDCD's that I've owned or heard sound great. Reference Recordings, in particular, produces some astounding CD's. Just to name a few: Rachmaminoff's Symphonic Dances, Copland 100, Respighi's Pines of Rome...