Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
AL, just to correct you regarding the 'ping' on Ayon spinners when you press play or change inputs, that 'ping' sound comes from the 6H30 tube filament and is very normal. Ayon do not use any negative feedback or compensators to erase tube noise or hum or something like as most other manufacturers are doing.

Ayon are taking a pure approach. To use negative feedback in the circuit – the sound decreases a lot.

Hi all.

I've been playing with Audirvana and Amarra (most recent update). I'm finding subtle differences. Not enough solid info to report findings yet. I think I will play for a while before posting anything to give both a solid opinion.

I'm working on the room idea a bit more. Trying to determine if I am better putting the speakers on the short (13 foot) wall and leaving the back (behind the couch) open instead of walling it off… Also haven't really broached the idea with the wifey yet. I'm hoping she's so desperate to get me out of the office shell let me go anywhere else…

The ODSE is still burning in. I have been relaxing and just enjoying the music.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a CD spinner. That's why Audiolabyrinth mentioned the Ayon. I had asked him about them because I know he had a bad experience with them. It's just thinking right now since the room will chew up a bit of funds that are much better spent on my room then a piece of kit I will rarely use.

All for now. Gonna be a slow 2 weeks since my kids just got back from camp and I'm trying to do lots of family time….

Are any of you going to the NYC show in late Sept. Maybe we can all hook up there and listen to some rooms together. I know Merrill will be showing there…

Steve or Alex, are you showing as well?
Mattnshilp, check out the PS Audio CD spinner you can find this transport used on the Gon and sounds great.
Matt - usually the only shows I have time for are Newport Beach and RMAF in Denver, and sometimes only one of those. NY show is really expensive so hard to justify. I would like to do Montreal some time though.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio