Best SACD player for the money - Marantz SA-11S1

My sense is that the Ed Meitner unit is the best SACD together with the Esoteric DV-50. However, after a lot of research on the net my sense is that there is a new player that is in the same top notch category for a lot less. This is the Marantz SA-11S1. Two channel - Great. I am not interested in five channels. My sense is that it is a great value for about $ 3,000. Looking for folks that have the player and hear their experience compared to the other top notch players. I currently have a Sony SCD-C555ES and think the Marantz will be a lot better than a Modified Sony unit. Thanks for responding.
dcaudio
If you got the TRL mod route, Paul @ TRL feels that the modded SA11 sounds better than the SA14 but not by much. Given that a used SA14 is about half the price of a used SA11, the SA14 would be more cost effective -- you could spend part of the savings on tweaks like a good platform or even buy a very good power conditioner or a pack of room treatments.

I've been told that the SA11 sounds more detailed than the SA14 but can be less warm and musical. I have not listened to either, I am just passing on what I have been told.
I've been using the SA-11S1 for the past three months. Prior to that, I used the SA-1 for 1.5 years, and briefly, an Esoteric DV-50. My sense is that the SA-11S1 is the best sounding player of these three. With well recorded SACD's, the SA-11S1 sounds simply stunning. My only complaint is that the transport is louder than necessary when the machine plays SACD's. (The transport sounds like a quiet computer when playing SACD's and dead quiet when playing CD's.) With CD's, the SA-11S1 sounds more detailed, dynamic, and I suspect, more accurate that the SA-1, which sounds relatively euphonic. On some CD's, I have found the SA-11S1 to be too agressive sounding, but this characteristic can be largely mitigated by leaving the digital output ON and the noise shaping filter OFF. These settings give the player a more laid back sound. If you want to hear the absolute best dynamics and detail that the player has to offer, then reverse these settings. I haven't totally decided on which of the three digital filters I prefer, but I've gravitated towards filter #2 of late. Yes, lots of settings to plow through, but this flexibility let's you customize the sound of the player to your liking once you get used to what does what. Overall, I think Marantz has done a great job on this player in giving die-hard, 2-channel audiophiles a reference quality player at a reasonable cost. The player is absolutely gorgeous as well. I hope this info helps.
Thanks everyone. Very much appreciate people jumping in. Message seems consistent from those that have the player that it is a top notch one. I am sure it beats my Sony SCD-C555ES "as is" and after the potential Mods. It is still a 2001 player and lots has happened since then including availability of decent software to separate good from bad players. Sincere, Thanks.
Dcaudio, you forget that your 555ES is a much cheaper player than all of the players that have been mentioned. A lot has happened since 2001, but that has nothing to do with how good the 555ES is. There isn't a stock player that goes for the same price as the 555ES did back then that beats the 555ES in every aspect. The 555ES has one of the best transports available on changers. You won't find the level of build quality then nor now for the same price. It was a good value back then and still is a good value now. But most people bought the 555ES either because they wanted a changer or they couldn't afford/didn't think it's worth the difference for the XA777ES. And even back then we were talking about a couple hundred dollars more.